Traveling into Canada from US

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Traveling into Canada from US

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:18 pm

I have none the less nearly been arrested twice entering the US.

What were the alleged infractions?
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:27 pm

We've been crossing into and out of Canada several times since my last post above. I'm amazed how easy it is. Hardly any questions and agents have been friendly, almost cheerful. I have to wonder if we're in their database as harmless.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:31 pm

Each year my siblings and their families spend a week at cabins on Lake Huron in the Les Cheneaux Islands area (Cedarville, MI). One year, as is common, my three brother-in-laws had a need to go to the Soo to get some cigars that apparently can't be had in this country. The BILs drove to the International Bridge with my two boys and my brother's son. The kids all shared my last name. The BILs all had different last names. When they returned some of the family asked them how three bearded middle-aged men managed to cross the border with three unrelated kids. Three kids with no identification I might add. Apparently there were no concerns. Those were different times!

I've crossed through several border crossings since 9-11-2001. No problems, no obvious suspicious questions. Just a pleasant "What is your nationality sir?", Where are you visiting sir?" and "Are you carrying any firearms or perishable fruits or vegis?".
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:04 pm

TimC wrote:Each year my siblings and their families spend a week at cabins on Lake Huron in the Les Cheneaux Islands area (Cedarville, MI). One year, as is common, my three brother-in-laws had a need to go to the Soo to get some cigars that apparently can't be had in this country.

Reminds me of a totally unrelated story: Seems a member of my uncle's squadron in Vietnam carried a Cuban cigar with him in the event he was shot down. He figured it would be legal to smoke it then, as he'd be in a Communist country. (Their missions were over North Vietnam and, umm, extreme western North Vietnam.) Sure enough, one day he was puffing away as the helecopter winched him out of the jungle.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby cdnred » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:33 pm

TimC wrote: When I was a kid we frequently crossed at Port Huron/Sarnia and back in at Niagara Falls and vice versa on the way back home. On one trip my dad forgot the dog's vaccination paperwork. We were on the Port Huron side and the border agents we were dealing with wouldn't let the dog through. To make matters worse the dog was not allowed back into Port Huron to seek a Vet to give the pooch his shots. We had a dog without a country for a few hours. The result was a very expensive "border call" for a local vet. My dad never forgot the dog's papers again

That must've been an expensive lesson to learn. I know border agents can be sticklers for inspections but now with COVID in the past crossing the border is relatively easier. I live in a Canadian border city and frequent the US regularly without issue. As long as you're not attempting to smuggle things in back or forth and declare what you've bought then you should be fine. The major issue that people seem to forget is to be aware of firearms. In the US it's allowed to carry with a permit but crossing over into Canada is not the same as traveling from one state to another. If unsure if you can bring it into Canada then leave it at home..
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:23 pm

But I have none the less nearly been arrested twice entering the US. In both cases I only escaped because they didn't want the cost of holding.

So you had fail-to-appear (or other) warrants? :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion