Storage Place for Trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Storage Place for Trailer

Postby Capebuild » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:50 am

I currently keep my trailer in the garage when we're not using it. My garage also functions as a "shop" of sorts and I'm starting to think of another place to store the trailer in order to get back the shop space.
I was thinking of constructing a separate "building" just to store the trailer, but that seems to be more of an expense I'd like to deal with. I'm now thinking of a car port of sorts (basically just a roof) that would attach to the garage
but am concerned about the trailer being exposed to the elements. We are located in the northeast where rain and snow can be an issue. I was also thinking of one of those big car tents but was concerned about
moisture coming up from the ground below. Maybe my concerns about exposure to the elements is overblown.....??

My question is where do you all store your trailer, especially you who are located in climates that might experience winter like weather, moisture, excessive Mother Nature....etc..

Thanks for any suggestions, input and the like.

John
Attachments
IMG_7180 Medium.jpeg
IMG_7180 Medium.jpeg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 676 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Storage Place for Trailer

Postby mountainminded » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:26 am

Storing your trailer under a solid roof is the single best thing you can do to prolong the life of your trailer. A simple shed roof or carport (RV Port) will allow good airflow while preventing rain and snow from accumulating and penetrating the joints— and it will, despite your excellent craftsmanship and best efforts at sealing it out. I’m fortunate to have a large aircraft hangar with room for the Cessna and 4-5 teardrops. Tony has a great image of his home storage solution in a climate with lots of winter weather.

Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mary and bob » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:03 pm

We are in Upstate NY, near Albany, so we get snow. Our vintage teardrop is stored in and old large (50 X 100') pole building that we own, but we also own a 17' Casita fiberglass camper that won't fit because of the height. We built a simple 10' X 16' shelter, made with six 4 X 4 posts and a peaked metal roof using trusses that we fabricated. End wall is closed in because of pine trees there but the rest is open. The ground is pea stone. It was simple to build and total cost was $1700 four years ago. It works good to keep snow off the camper. I forgot how to post photos here, or would have put one on.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:34 pm

We had other yard tools (log splitter, chipper, HF trailer, etc.) that deserved better storage than outside under tarps, and had to be moved out of our basement/garage if I was going to have a proper wood shop, so we bought a 3 bay metal shed. Out here, there are plenty, and plenty of places places that sell them. Not sure how practical this would be in your neck of the woods John.

Since we live on the side of a hill, we had to buy an adjacent piece of land that had a flat place near the road. We then discovered we couldn't simply build a garage, as the county requires a livable space on a lot. Rather than build a better building with septic system, water, electricity, and cooking facilities, we had our lots combined into one, which took time and a survey. Then we worked with the metal building people to get it permitted. I cut down trees where we wanted it built and hired a dirt guy to prep the pad, pull permits for that, and pour the concrete. Then the metal building factory shut down due to Covid. Took several years from buying the land to getting the building ready for the teardrop and other equipment, but we felt it was worth it. An awful lot of effort though!

The building stops all the weather pretty well, but not the rodents, which are a perpetual battle out here. Oh, and I'm part pack rat myself and this offers more evil tempations for storing my booty. :lol:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:11 pm

I'm struggling wit the same dilemma. Right now I just have a tarp over the top 3/4 so it can breath. Thinking about building a carport style roof off the garage but that will be tricky. If I pushed the issue, my wife would probably give up her garage spot like she did during the year I was building it.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:07 pm

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:56 pm

I and a few friends have used those tent like car ports...
:thinking:
Be sure to use a tarp or plastic on the ground to keep
down the dampness. Pipe insulation on the bars of the
frame helps the cover last a bit longer.
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:12 am

Thanks all for the replies. I keep waffling back and forth about using one of those carport tents. I've read both positive and negative comments. Building a small shed to house the trailer would be desirable but that also has positive and negatives (building inspector is probably wanting to see shed on a foundation which adds big bucks). I had originally thought of a set up like Tony shows and now seeing the picture he's posted I think I'm going to return to that idea. With this set up I can get away with only pouring 2 piers (probably building inspector would approve of that method) and I can also attach roll down/up tarp sides around the structure if we have a big storm show up. Gravel on the ground with a vapor barrier under gravel (although the vapor barrier may or may not provide any benefit).
Thanks all again. Appreciate hearing your thoughts.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:24 pm

John; do you need a permit and inspection for everything you do on your property? Our town only requires a permit for a shed over 144 square feet. We were able to almost stay under that size for the camper shelter (160 sq. ft), but when I talked to the building inspector and told him what I wanted to do he said go ahead and he wouldn't make me get a permit. Roof overhang didn't count in the square foot measurement so I made that extra long.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:45 am

mary and bob wrote:John; do you need a permit and inspection for everything you do on your property?

In our town we have a "shed regulation". If you build a shed and it's under 100 square feet you need a 10 foot setback. Between 200 sq ft and 100 a 25 foot set back is required. So no building permit. But over 200 sq ft, a permit is required. I'm not sure why he suggested my shed would require either piers or foundation. Maybe because I told him my plan was to house a camper..... as I see plenty of sheds here just on cement blocks.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:55 am

John; maybe piers or foundation suggestion could be because of "permanent" type as compared to "portable" type shed on blocks. We have two of the Amish built sheds that set on 4 X 6 skids and are delivered already built, so they are portable sheds. One of them required a permit because of size. The camper shed is built on 4 X 4 posts that are set in 3' deep holes with concrete, so that would be considered a permanent structure. The camper shed technically required a permit, but the building inspector let it slide by without, I think because it was close in size to not needing a permit, and I was straight with him about what I wanted to do.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:25 pm

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get my trailer out of the garage and stored in a safe and reliable setup. I've looked at both one of those Shelterlogic car tents and also installing a slanted roof on my garage to house the trailer. Both have their positives and negatives. Has anyone used one of these trailer covers (see attached)? Kind of like a car cover.
Thanks

John
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 2.12.53 PM Medium.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 2.12.53 PM Medium.jpeg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 317 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:06 pm

Capebuild wrote:I'm still trying to figure out a way to get my trailer out of the garage and stored in a safe and reliable setup. I've looked at both one of those Shelterlogic car tents and also installing a slanted roof on my garage to house the trailer. Both have their positives and negatives. Has anyone used one of these trailer covers (see attached)? Kind of like a car cover.
Thanks

John

I bought one and it was too small but it was so cheap and thin, I returned it and did not order a bigger one. The tarp I mentioned is working just fine. I just got back from walmart looking for a beach ball to put on the roof today. Rain sometimes collects between the awning and rod holder tube on the roof rack. No luck on the ball.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby mary and bob » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:30 pm

Shed roof off the side of the garage like Tony did is the best option. For a fabric cover you would want one that breathes so it doesn't hold moisture in causing mold. And you want a tight fit so it doesn't flap in the wind and rub the finish.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:05 pm

All buildings require a foundation. If you mean you're worried about a foundation below frost, different question. The model code most jurisdictions use exempt accessory buildings under 600 SF from having to have a foundation below frost line. So 4 or 6 posts embedded in the ground and framing and metal - a tiny pole barn - would be fine. Or a simple slab with thickened edges and stick framing.

Just saying.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion