Air Movement

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Air Movement

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:25 pm

cdnred wrote:
I think it was Tom who said there are some stud finders that will show you where they are, and I'm sure he's right. And I don't think they're the $10 ones that find drywall nails.

If you could find a 14"-wide spot, I think it would be possible to make the cut and insert framing from inside the hole.

Tony

:thumbsup: I've got one but not sure if it'll be accurate enough for what I want, if not I'll check out HomeDepot next week and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help..
Helmuth

I'm getting ads on the Youtube-averse for one that uses radar and your cell phone. Turns out it costs about $150. Looks interesting to me, but maybe not that interesting. And, since I have no personal experience with it, all I can say is that what they claim is certainly possible, even likely (I have actually built and used short range radar, but not for that purpose). If what they claim is true, I probably would consider it if I had an importaint job, or a few, to use it on.

I currently use the style that looks for stud density behind the dry wall, and find that's okay, but it gets confused by metal dryer vents and pipes. But that's on house walls, not teardrop walls.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby cdnred » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:13 pm

I currently use the style that looks for stud density behind the dry wall, and find that's okay, but it gets confused by metal dryer vents and pipes. But that's on house walls, not teardrop walls.

Tom

Tom, that's kind of what I have now. I was hoping to find the location of the supports in the ceiling. I'm wondering with a metal skin on the roof if it will give me a reliable reading or get confused like with your dryer vents..? I'll have to find some time this week to try and see what kind of reading it'll give me. The radar one sounds interesting but for a one time use, it may not be all that practical..

Helmuth
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cdnred » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:11 am

Spoke to a local to me shop that told me that they could put in a powered 12v vent in my roof for about $240-$300 CDN (includes the cost of the vent) but not until May of next year. Price sounds fairly reasonable compared to other quotes that I've got, $750-$1000 CDN..
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:18 pm

they could put in a powered 12v vent in my roof for about $240-$300 CDN

It is, depending on their craftsmanship. And that's assuming they don't have to cut a spar to do it--which is okay if they tie in the fan framing to the spars, I suppose.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cdnred » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:16 pm

It is, depending on their craftsmanship

They're a reputable local RV dealer that have been in business since 1998 and have received lots of positive reviews but each job if somewhat different. I've found in the past at what looks like a relatively easy project can quickly develop difficulties once underway. Ya have to look at the positive but expect for the negative..
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:57 pm

They're a reputable local RV dealer...

Sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wrecit » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:49 pm

Without seeing inside your trailer I can’t be positive but your eyes can tend to be the best stud finder. If you go inside with a bright (led) light you should be able to make out the screw placement even if they have a few coats of paint over them. Another old trick is to use a kitchen magnet (a rare earth is best but I have used the kids fridge alphabet a time or 2 to locate studs by locating the screws holding the drywall on the wall)
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion