is breakaway system good idea?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

is breakaway system good idea?

Postby Brankulo » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:44 pm

was wandering if people use breakaway system and if it makes sense. with required chains it seems a bit counterintuitive. you keep pulling the trailer via chains but it wants to break because of breakaway device. or am i missing something here?
thanks
Brankulo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: is breakaway system good idea?

Postby mary and bob » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:14 pm

In some states a breakaway system may be required, and may be based on trailer size. If a trailer does come off the ball the chains should hold it but with a breakaway the brakes would apply and better hold the trailer in line and make for a safer stop without the trailer hitting the tow vehicle. The breakaway system relies on battery power to activate the trailer brakes, so you need a battery on the trailer. The problem I see with a breakaway switch is the cable to the tow vehicle has to be the correct length to pull the pin on the switch, too long and the trailer tongue can be hanging on the chains and the pin won't get pulled. Our Casita camper has a breakaway switch, but because of the cable length and routing I certainly wouldn't count on it to actually apply the brakes. If your camper doesn't have a battery there are small rechargeable batteries available just for a breakaway system.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:19 pm

A breakaway system is a good thing.
Some info here.
I've always wondered how long that cable should be. I can probably loop mine back to itself.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Last edited by Modstock on Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mary and bob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:51 pm

Cable length is one of those too long or too short questions. You don't want it too short and hooked in a way it pulls the pin on a sharp turn, or too long so it does not pull the pin in a trailer disconnect situation. You can actually buy a coiled cable, I can't see how that would work at all. I'm more concerned about the adjustment of the coupler being correct and proper connection and adjustment of the chains so that they will catch the tongue before it hits the ground. I use a coiled electric cord so it shouldn't unplug in a breakaway situation, allowing me to manually operate the brake controller.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 am

Here's a pic of my cable routed .
I went through the bumper to give it a bit more slack. Wouldn't reach down to the chain loops underneath. Image

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion