Any guidance?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Any guidance?

Postby LeonLawson » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:00 am

Hello everyone, I'm reaching out from Connecticut as I embark on my Teardrop adventure. I've noticed various styles of wall construction, from solid to different framing techniques. Is there a go-to resource within the community for a pros/cons list of these construction methods? I appreciate any guidance!
LeonLawson
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Any guidance?

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:05 am

I bought my first teardrop in 2004. It had solid walls and on chilly nights, condensation on the walls was a problem. It was so bad we kept a beach towel inside to wipe the water off in the morning.

In 2009, I built a teardrop using 1x 4's as internal wall framing and filled the voids with 3/4" of foam board. We never had any condensation in it.

Since that build, I have built three others using 3/4" CDX for the internal framing. It's MUCH faster and allows for greater design flexibilty. (As in 1 day vs. 3 for the internal structure.)

Some folks say they do fine with solid walls but that may be becuase they don't camp in what I would call chilly weather–-the thirties. If you build with sandwiched walls, you'll not regret it.

The other benefit to sandwich wall construction is the roof is built from the inside out which is easier and makes for a nice tight seam inside. The headliner goes on first, and then the spars, instead of the other way around.

https://youtu.be/rIUUaEKe4mw?si=0GQtFZZDYCK0ZDro

And then there's the advantage of a better hatch sealing system with sandwich wall construction but that's a whole different discussion:

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion