Best method for getting in and out of a teardrop

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Best method for getting in and out of a teardrop

Postby TommyMiles » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:54 am

Hi, at 35, I've been exploring teardrop trailers and have specific brands in mind for a potential purchase. Given my limited agility and bad knees, I'm wondering about the best method for getting in and out of a teardrop. Do people crawl in on hands and knees, or is sitting and rolling in or out a common approach?
TommyMiles
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Best method for getting in and out of a teardrop

Postby mary and bob » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:21 am

Our teardrop is a 1946 Modernistic, 4 feet wide, one door. We use the "open door, sit down, roll back in" method. Reverse that to get out. We are in our mid 70's but have actually not slept in our teardrop for the last 10 years, so that means we did use it up into our mid 60's.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby DJ Davis » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:47 am

Tommy,

My homebuilt teardrop has doors that are 36" wide (40" tall), so it's easy to get in/out just about any way one chooses. I put 1/2" foam, interlocking gym flooring squares on the floor when the bed is not set up for sleeping. This gives a bit of padding for when I need to crawl inside for some reason, plus it adds insulation from below. When the 4" medium-density foam mattress is laid out, I sit down inside the door, lay down toward the pillow with my upper body and draw my legs up until they clear the doorway, then extend them to the bottom of the bed. If it's just me, I crawl in, sit down, close the door, and flop down where I want! Getting out is always done by sitting cross-legged at the door, opening it, unfolding my legs to hang out the door, and then stepping into my shoes of choice on the mat by the door. In bad/cold/rainy weather, I bring my shoes inside at night. Sitting in the doorway, I remove them, then put them in a "shoe bag" (a large plastic shopping bag) and place that in a corner at the bottom of the mattress. Exiting the next day, the same routine is followed as for "decent" weather except for putting on the shoes while sitting in the doorway.

Sorry if this is more than you expected for a reply. I'm a Texan and we LOVE to talk and for me that trait extends to the electronic media, as well!
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:18 am

The same way you get in bed. You sit in the doorway--just like you do with your bed--and swing into it. That's why teardrop doors need to be placed at where your hips are when prone.

That's one reason teardrops have survived and proliferated for 80 years.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DJ Davis » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:42 am

tony.latham wrote:The same way you get in bed. You sit in the doorway--just like you do with your bed--and swing into it. That's why teardrop doors need to be placed at where your hips are when prone.

That's one reason teardrops have survived and proliferated for 80 years.

Tony

***BEST ANSWER*** I completely forgot about mentioning door placement in the planning stage.
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby philpom » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:52 pm

Slightly different answer here but it works well for us. Our tiny camper was built with the headboard towards the back. The single door is placed near the front like a traditional teardrop. When it's time to go to sleep I just climb in head first and instantly I'm ready to zonk. Getting out is a short butt scoot out the door. The door is by our feet.

Imagine how you might get in bed after being up really late after a good time??? :lol:
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:53 pm

philpom wrote:Slightly different answer here but it works well for us. Our tiny camper was built with the headboard towards the back. The single door is placed near the front like a traditional teardrop. When it's time to go to sleep I just climb in head first and instantly I'm ready to zonk. Getting out is a short butt scoot out the door. The door is by our feet.

Imagine how you might get in bed after being up really late after a good time??? :lol:

Mine is set-up the same as yours (except I have a second door, JIC); it was designed/built when I was 61-63 y.o., so it was easy to get in and out. Now, at 73, with bad back, knees, and you-name-it, I can't get up and out of the trailer without help.

inside cabin arrangement.jpg
getting in: Love under overhead shelf.....getting out: use lifting noose and grab handles
inside cabin arrangement.jpg (245.15 KiB) Viewed 192 times

A few years back, I put in an overhead crossbeam above my mid-torso (when laying down), which has two sturdy "gate" handles (the same as I use everywhere else on the trailer) and a hanging "noose" mounted on it. The crossbeam is a 4x4 mounted via lag screws between the walls, (it's not needed to support the roof), and easily supports my 225# weight and more. I lift myself with the soft noose, grab the handles, and lift/scoot forward to the door (after I remove the locking bar, while still reclined).

lifting noose and grab handles.JPG
no, the noose isn't big enough to hang myself, to the objection voiced by my wife
lifting noose and grab handles.JPG (74.04 KiB) Viewed 192 times

I then kick the door opened, and propel myself to sit up resting on the doorsill, before I exit. I do have to watch out for the overhead stereo shelf, mounted between and above the door frames, and alway look out before I step onto my Ikea Bolmen stepstool (I have a phobia about snakes).

Ikea Bolmen stepstool.JPG
cheap, sturdy, easy-to clean; doesn't seem to move even in thunderstorms
Ikea Bolmen stepstool.JPG (31.9 KiB) Viewed 192 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion