Help with fixing leaks ..

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Help with fixing leaks ..

Postby nevada kate » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:15 pm

Hello everyone ... I have a couple leaks on my 2008 CampInn 550 that I can't seem to fix. One is inside the cabin door on the bottom .. water is damaging the bottom of the inside wood panel. The other is on the right hinge corner of the hatch .. tried caulk, tape, new seals .. lots of water still comes into the galley. I don't want to have to cover my teardrop with a tarp when camping. Summers in the high mountains can rain quite heavily in the summer .. snow and sleet in the spring and fall. So if anyone has any ideas I could really use help with this chronic issue. Thanks in advance :)
nevada kate
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Help with fixing leaks ..

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:42 pm

I have a couple leaks on my 2008 CampInn 550...

Have you talked to Camp-Inn about these issues? I also suspect there's a Camp-Inn Facebook group and that someone in that group has had the same issues.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevada kate » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:50 pm

Thanks for the tip ... I will try that. I just thought that the structure of teardrops are similar enough to get some ideas from other owners and builders.
nevada kate
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:20 pm

I just thought that the structure of teardrops are similar enough to get some ideas...

Hatch construction varies. Here's mine.

Did you buy it new or used??? Camp-Inn is a reputable company. I'd contact them.

As far as the door, I would pull the edge trim, and probably the aluminum sheet and seal the edges and exterior with epoxy, assuming the exterior is bare wood. I would add three coats of polyurethane finish to the interior. But that doesn't solve the root problem which is how the water is getting in.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevada kate » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:29 pm

Thanks again .. I am thinking of maybe adding a drip rail above the hinge overhanging an inch or so past the sides [like your photo]. As for the door ... I had already revarnished and applied a thin waterproof sealant in the seams of the aluminum inside and out. Of note .. the piano hinge has to be tightened often or the door won't close easy ... so maybe it's position affects the proper water dispersal. I will experiment and also check the door frame per your advice. I also should locktight the screws. Thanks for taking the time to post.
nevada kate
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:25 pm

and Yes Camp-Inn does has their own web-site that you can contact them on. Be sure to find/locate your serial ## off your trailer to refer too if they ask for it. Was told years ago, they have kept build notes from all of their builds over the years.......
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:20 pm

at the shops, if we can not find a leek add a bit of can foam. find and seals any leak
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Return to General Discussion