Blue Ridge Parkway Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Blue Ridge Parkway Question

Postby Capebuild » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:11 am

Hello. We're planning a trip down to North Carolina area from Massachusetts (this April) and looking to travel along the Shenandoah Region and Blue Ridge Parkway. Couple of questions if anyone has experience with traveling this area.

1). We're looking at camping at the Shenandoah River State Park (in Virginia) and using that as our "home base" while visiting the Shenandoah Region area. I'm asking if anyone has suggestions as to how long we should allow for the stay at the Shenandoah River State Park considering we'd like to hike, go on a bike trail, visit any sites and explore around the area. We're thinking 2 nights/3 days and in that time visit whatever's around. Our next stop would be Hungry Mother State Park, use that as our "home base" (on our way to Asheville) and from Hungry Mother we could explore the Blue Ridge Parkway area (again hiking, biking and poking around)..... and we're trying to figure how long to spend at that park (again thinking 2 nights/3 days). Any thoughts about this?

2). I'd welcome any suggestions on what to visit along the Blue Ridge Parkway area and the Shenandoah area, besides the obvious.

Thanks very much for any help.

John
EDIT: WE JUST FOUND ANOTHER STATE PARK (STONE MOUNTAIN STATE PARK IN ROARING GAP NORTH CAROLINA WHICH APPEARS TO BE CLOSER TO BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY THAN HUNGRY MOTHER STATE PARK..... SO ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT THAT? THANKS
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway Question

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:44 am

We spent a week on the Parkway (Skyline / Blue Ridge) and stayed at the National CG's along the route.. Your a month early to do the same, shame.. Shame the Visitor Centers and many POI's won't be open either..

Safe Travels!

Appalachian Run 2021 https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy0N ... 5LkRCZsYTc
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Onajourney » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:43 pm

Although pretty near Asheville and if not already on your hit list, I would recommend a couple days at Linville Falls Campground RV Park Area or somewhere else near. There are many camping places all along the parkway and all of the SPs are great choices. It's right off the BRP and there are numerous places to see and do. The Pisgah NF area here is some of the prettiest on the parkway. Your coming in between seasons so there won't be many people on the parkway. So much to see along it's entirety so I would recommend getting a guide book or this online interactive map https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/parkway-map/. It is also a very good idea to check for road closures here https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby joefriday122 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:46 am

Hey,

Stone Mtn State Park is a great place to stay and hike. Highly recommend it. Also look at New River State Park, it is very RV friendly and probably less crowded than Stone Mtn., and its close to the parkway, too.

I have lived in NC all my life and am familiar with the BRP in North Carolina. Here are my recommendations:

Doughton Park at MP 240: Its a NPS recreation area with great views and hiking.

Glendale Springs at MP 260: There is a small church there called the "Church of the Frescoes," well worth the stop and tour. The Glendale Springs Inn serves a great meal.

E.B. Jeffress Park at MP 270: A short hike will take you to a very cool cascades waterfall.

Blowing Rock, NC for great food. Try THE SPECKLED TROUT restaurant in Blowing Rock

Moses Cone Memorial Park at MP 290: There is a visitors center and crafts place in a picturesque mansion. Great views. There is also a camping and picnic ground close by called Julian Price Park.

Rough Ridge Trail and overlook at MP 302.8: This short hike will take you up to a rock ledge/overlook that allows you to see the Lynn Cove viaduct bridge and grandfather mountain. It is one of the best short hikes of the parkway and should not be missed.

Linville Falls at MP 315: One of the BRP's iconic stops. You can't really say you traveled the BRP without going there. Also, Louise's Rockhouse Restaurant serves good food. It's claim to fame is that the restaurnt sits on the border of 3 counties, so you can eat in one county and walk across the room to another. There are multiple campgrounds nearby.

Altapass Apple Orchard at MP 328: Good views and a chance to stop and shop.

Little Switzerland at MP 335: a VERY small collection of cool hotels, a general store, restaurant, bookstore and coffee shop. Also provides access to Spruce Pine, NC. There is a good restaurant downtown called D.T.'s Blueridge Java which serves a very excellent breakfast. The Western Sizzlin is also good.

Crabtree Meadows and Crabtree Falls at MP 340. A campground and a hike to one of the prettiest waterfalls on the parkway.

Green Knob Overlook and Firetower at MP 350. This is a well kept secret. Park at the overlook and walk across the parkway to the trailhead. A short hike up to the firetower will provide great views of the Black Mountain Range.

Mt Mitchell State Park at MP 355. Highest peak east of the Mississippi River. A restaurant, store, and a short hike to the top.

Craggy Dome and Craggy Gardens Visitor Center at MP 364. Awesome views from the short hike. A nice break at the visitors center.

Folk Art Center at MP 380: Bring your credit card. Lots of shopping. Worth the stop even if you don't buy.

Asheville, NC go to Biltmore Estate

Mt. Pisgah at MP 409: Campground, hiking to top of Mt Pisgah, Restaurant nearby.

Take highway 276 down to Brevard, NC for great food and a good walk around a beautiful town. Breweries, trout fishing, etc.

Devil's Courthouse at MP 422. A short hike up a paved trail to the view.

Take Highway 215 North to Sunburst campground on the Pigeon River

Finish the BRP and visit the Great Smokey Mtns Nat'l Park.

I hope this is helpful.. Enjoy your trip!

joefriday122
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Capebuild » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:49 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions and help. Joe Friday, that's quite a listing of places to look into. Thanks very much for that. appreciate it!! We are looking forward to our trip. First of the season.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:54 pm

Wow! Thank you from Shelly and me too Joe Friday! We've been wanting to take a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway for a few years, and maybe circumstances will permit it this Fall.

One of the good things about this forum are the personal travel experiences from members. :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:55 am

FYI. Good website to check for what's open in April along the BRP.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/hours.htm
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion