Everybody Loves a Homemade Window....

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Everybody Loves a Homemade Window....

Postby JohnSw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Seeing how popular discussions on homemade windows are I thought I should post mine. I wanted a small window in my door. I thought about just having a fixed window but really wanted it to open. Here is an overall of the rear of the camper.

A closer view of the window.... The windows is Plexiglas, piano hinge is stainless steel, the hinge screws are screwed into a 1/8 x 1/2 aluminum bar. The aluminum channels are 3/8 x 1/2. There are probably twice as many aluminum pop rivets as necessary. The latches are from a work project long ago. It seemed a shame to just throw them away when I might be able to find a use for them and, what do you know, 25 years later, I did. The seal is by Trim Lok. It's EPDM closed cell .62" wide x .38 high with a presure sensitive adhesive that I got from Zoro.com

The window in the open position.... Initially I was planning on some kind of lever with a roller to ride in the channels to open the window. That's the origin of the side channels. This was getting too complex and it occured to me that I could just push the window open and put a stick in it. I hinged the screen and made a fancy stick. I actually made two fancy sticks, a long one and a short one.

Inside of the door... I made a screen frame from 3/4 x 3/4 poplar and used the table saw to cut a groove for the spline I had leftover from replacing the sliding door screen.

I've had the camper on the road twice - both times in rainstorms. The window has not leaked.
Build Journal for The Annex at viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59105
JohnSw
Gold Donating Member

Re: Everybody Loves a Homemade Window....

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Great job! Looks well thought out. :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:06 am

Very nice!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:20 am

I like awning windows for the reason they can direct water to the outside of the window opening. Your design is very nice and I may just make a similar awning window for my door. I want to make dutch doors but I can't see where I couldn't use a small window in the top.

Good job. Nice design.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:08 pm

Glad I found this. :) :applause: :thinking:
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby dogscats » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:10 pm

Great job . :thumbsup:
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques