Can I pull off 5’?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Can I pull off 5’?

Postby benjamin » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:04 am

I have to ask, How many have built or are building a 5’ frame with tires out side of the body? Most that I have seen are a 4’ wide and the few that I have seen being 5’ have the wheels tucked under the body. I do not want my wheels tucked under the body but I want the 5’ wide frame. Is this even an option? I have the steel mocked up at 5’ x 10’ frame but I may drop the length down to 8’ as I may not need that kind of length. With my fenders added to the out side I am looking at approaching 7’ or just shy of that from out to out. I know this is feasible I have a pop up that is 8’ wide. But does this even sound sane for a TD? :worship:
Pop ups are good (99 Coleman) But Tear drops are better!
The trees are talking are you listening?
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:19 am

No problem - plenty of people here have done it and several manufacturers offer 5' models.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:13 pm

The Lil Diner is 5' wide, and has the wheels outside the body!!

And look at the CampInn models... many of them are 5' wide as well!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Can I pull off 5’?

Postby Joanne » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:04 pm

benjamin wrote:I have to ask, How many have built or are building a 5’ frame with tires out side of the body? Most that I have seen are a 4’ wide and the few that I have seen being 5’ have the wheels tucked under the body. I do not want my wheels tucked under the body but I want the 5’ wide frame. Is this even an option? I have the steel mocked up at 5’ x 10’ frame but I may drop the length down to 8’ as I may not need that kind of length. With my fenders added to the out side I am looking at approaching 7’ or just shy of that from out to out. I know this is feasible I have a pop up that is 8’ wide. But does this even sound sane for a TD? :worship:

Hi Benjamin,

Althought I'm just finishing my frame right now, mine is 5X10 with the wheels on the outside. My frame started out as a boat trailer and I used it's existing width. I really like having the extra width so it is worth the extra cost and build complexities.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby benjamin » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:43 pm

I am happy to hear this. I really wanted the 5’ width. With that I have started hunting for a wider axle. I think I found one with springs and 5 bolt hubs. The axle I have now would allow me about 4’6” inside width and I could make that work but that is not what I want. I agree I have been looking at it all and I know the 5’ width will make every thing a bit more difficult but like you said worth it.
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:20 pm

benjamin wrote:I really wanted the 5’ width. With that I have started hunting for a wider axle.

If you order an axle from Dexter or Flexride, you can specify the exact width you want. You can order them locally thru trailer builders or from the internet.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:48 pm

This is my 5' wide chassis which sits under the lil diner. The axle comes from southwest wheel. I had it shipped right to my fabricator!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby benjamin » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:02 pm

I found one with springs #2000 I don’t want them that big but I do know I don’t want my axle welded to the frame. The axle can mount above or below the spring all hard ware for $150 spring mounts are on 5’ centers. I think the 2000lb is a bit much so that is why I am still looking. The one I had before was around 3000lb and I know that to be to big.
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby emiller » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:27 pm

8) I have two tears both 5 wide with tires outside, one 10' and the other 9' long both have 3500# drop axles the 10' with 15 inch wheels and the 9' with 14 inchers.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Cary Winch » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:16 pm

Benjamin,

I would follow Mike's advice and go with one of the torsions that allow you to specify the axle length. Mike used the Flexiride in that picture (nice frame Mike) he posted and that is the brand we use on all our tears. The other added advantage with the Flexiride is it has a adjustable ride height. You can play with it after the trailer is put together to get it where you want it.

You may find that you will have to go with the 2,000lb axle. The biggest problem is the spindle size. Axles with a lower rating use a smaller spindle. The smaller spindles prevent you from putting 5 bolt hubs on. So, if you have any intention of running a 14" or 15" wheel you need to go with the 2,000lb. I seriously recommend you go with at least a 14". The reasoning for this is you can run a real low air pressure which smoothens the ride. The smaller tires run such high tire pressure the trailer will bounce a bit even with lighter springs. If you get the trailer up around 1,000lb with 14" or 15" tires it will ride very smooth with a 2,000lb axle.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby benjamin » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:09 am

I went to out local tractor supply store last night. They have 1,700bl springs with shackles for a good price. They have in stock at all times 3500lb and 2000lb axles both being 5 bolt hubs. They have lighter springs bit they are a slap spring and I am thinking that is not what I want. They have the individual spindles for each side as well. I have every intent to run 14” rims with a 4 inch white wall tire. (Matches the car) The axle and spring system they have can be axle over or axle under so with a shim system I should be able to get the height I want. I am just not sold on welding the axle solid mount to the frame. The system I am looking at mounts to a 5’ frame with a 6” wide rime they claim it will clear the body with a 1 3/4” clearance from frame. I think that should be fine but I could be wrong. It is definitely some thing I need to look into a little more. The one I found on line is set up about the same way but with shipping the price gets a bit high. Life would be fine if I would just leave the width at 4’6 but I just can not do that.
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby purplepickup » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:15 pm

You can custom spec the axle assembly like you want it with different lengths, styles, hubs, and springs. There are a few sites online that make it pretty easy. Here's one that has a good selection of parts. http://shop.easternmarine.com/ The axles come bare with different trailing lengths and you weld the spring seat brackets where you need them. They have a helpful page here that explains how to pick out the right axle. http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/t ... _info.html If you put parts in your shopping basket you can calculate the shipping cost there. I was surprised to see their shipping wasn't extremely expensive. By buying the parts individually everything can be shipped by UPS. I think whole assemblies at other places have to be shipped by truck.

There are other stores like that I just used that one because I had it bookmarked.

You can probably find an axle assembly locally that will work for you and build a frame around it but if you need something special I thought I'd offer this as an option.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby benjamin » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:14 pm

Well that settles that. No jock the exact axle that I selected down to the part number is the same one I looked at last night. The price is about $20 cheaper through there web page but he one I looked at last night had the 5 bolt hubs with it. I may end up going with the torsion axle I am worried that even if I get the 4” drop axle it may still put the frame up to high.
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:47 pm

Benjamin-

I know you've already decided, but another vote saying 7' overall width is not a problem. With our 6'6" wide trailer the width has never been a problem. I just wish I could see around it easier which you will with the body only 5' wide.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby benjamin » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:41 pm

7 is indeed an option how ever it would force me to put the wheels under the body. This is not an option. I just as well pull my Pop up at that point. I need the wheels under an exterior fender to get the look that I want. In fact the fenders are the about the only thing that is ready to go. I just have to finish frenching in the tail lights. I think we will have to do the two in a tent thing for a year or 2 till my daughter can get over being in a tent with her brother.
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques