Alternative external trim ideas

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Alternative external trim ideas

Postby David Beckett » Wed May 11, 2005 7:52 pm

I installed 3/4" AL angle trim on my tear and I'm not happy with certain parts of it. :(

I roamed Lowes aisles exploring other alternatives. The one I am thinking about is to use a rubber water hose. I'd slit it lengthwise and glue and screw it around the edges.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Any other trim ideas?
:thinking:
Thanks,
David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

Postby SteveH » Wed May 11, 2005 9:35 pm

Steve Wolverton did a simular thing with I believe it was garage door rubber seal.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Scooter » Thu May 12, 2005 9:43 am

Those are great ideas. I'm getting 99% of my materials at Lowe's and HD and would love to see more ideas of alternative uses of their products on teardrops.
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 10:00 am

I'm doing a full woody now and I'll be building a laminated profile piece probably out of white ash.
In my opinion, a full woody needs this piece... 70% for looks, 30% for bangability.

Postby SteveH » Thu May 12, 2005 11:21 am

bangability

That's a new one for me, but hey, I like it! Somehow another picture comes to mind....... :roll:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

alternative trim

Postby David Beckett » Thu May 12, 2005 4:52 pm

Scooter,

I may be wierd but one of my great loves in building things is to roam a store looking for something for a purpose for which it was not produced. I recall a psych class where "functional habituation" is that a hammer can only be used as a hammer. Creative people look at a hammer and think of lots of other ways to use it.

Thanks for the encouragement. :D
David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

aluminum carpet edging

Postby Q » Thu May 12, 2005 7:56 pm

I used quite a bit of aluminum carpet edging for trim. It comes in long lengths, it's cheap, has predrilled holes, and looks good.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Re: alternative trim

Postby Geron » Fri May 13, 2005 4:54 am

David Beckett wrote:Scooter,

I may be wierd but one of my great loves in building things is to roam a store looking for something for a purpose for which it was not produced. I recall a psych class where "functional habituation" is that a hammer can only be used as a hammer. Creative people look at a hammer and think of lots of other ways to use it.

Thanks for the encouragement. :D

I do the same thing. Salesperson walks up and asks, "May I help you." "Nope, just looking for ideas. Not a clue what I want till I see it!!"

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: aluminum carpet edging

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2005 5:11 am

Q wrote:I used quite a bit of aluminum carpet edging for trim. It comes in long lengths, it's cheap, has predrilled holes, and looks good.

Q

The carpet trim is a good idea. I'll have to go and look at it!!! :thinking:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Fri May 13, 2005 7:04 am

I was thinking about carpet trim from the very beginning, but does that stuff hold up under the elements? Also, to bend around our curves?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2005 7:08 am

IraRat wrote:I was thinking about carpet trim from the very beginning, but does that stuff hold up under the elements? Also, to bend around our curves?

All very good questions... That's why I want to go and look at it... :eyebrows:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Scooter » Fri May 13, 2005 8:19 am

If we stuck to products intended purpose only, there'd probably be no such thing as homebuilt teardrops! :cry:
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

carpet edging

Postby Q » Fri May 13, 2005 1:10 pm

The aluminum carpet edging holds up just fine to the elements. It also bends easily around curves, being a pretty much flat profile. I used it for almost all the trim on my tear. I used the plain aluminum stuff but if you want to get fancy, it comes in gold anodized.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Re: carpet edging

Postby IraRat » Fri May 13, 2005 1:31 pm

Q wrote: it comes in gold anodized.

Q

You said the magic words.....
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

alternative trim

Postby David Beckett » Sat May 14, 2005 12:54 am

The aluminum carpet edging holds up just fine to the elements. It also bends easily around curves, being a pretty much flat profile.

Q,
So this is not the angle carpet edging for stairs, right? You're talking about the edging for carpet to vinyl transitions?
David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques