Wild Mike's trailer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Wild Mike's trailer

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:15 pm

Hey there Mr Wild!!!

I just eyeballed your trailer,

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ?pic_id=94

and it seems like it's really high off the ground. Is that the plan? Are you going to build some kind of rocking hopping desert rat of a teardrop?

So tell me. Grab a tape measure and tell me what's the distance from the ground to the underside of the frame?

I did notice the axle is bolted underneath the leaf spring. You could take the axle and move it above the leaf spring. A lot of us "Harbor Freighters" have done that.

What's the length of the siderail? Is that a full 8'? And while you're at it, how wide is the trailer?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Wild Mike's trailer

Postby Wild Mike » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:28 pm

Hey ya beat me to posting about my trailer ... that's what a fella get when he goes out for lunch. :lol:

I was really surprised when I took off the 3/4 ply floor to find this little frame sitting underneath.

It is sitting a bit high ... when it was in service as a popup we had to add helper coil springs to keep the tire from rubbing on the floor ... and that was with the little 8" tires. You couldn't add a bicycle or any extra weight to it.

I'm doing as much as I can at home and then I'm going to load up the sidewalls and floor and head over to a buddy that has a welder (and the extra hands don't hurt either). We're going to cut the axle and add a piece in to move the tires outside the sidewalls.

For the frame measurements ... I'll put a tape on it after I get home from work today. I know that the width is only 3ft. The side rails are U channels that are about 2 1/2" with 1" legs. I did put a tape on the hitch height and the top of the frame sits at abour 20". The bumper hitch on my 4x4 Mazda is 24", so I'm going to weld up something to lower it. Being and "old fart" I kind of like it sitting higher ... easier to get in and out of. 8)

I'll be posting more pics as I go. I've had the sidewalls cut and Saturday I finially cut the door in and have most of the inside door frame done too. For me that was the scary part ... cutting a big hole out of that nice sidewall.

Later,
Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:44 am

Did you get some measurements last night from your trailer?

Just wondered! :)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Wild Mike's trailer

Postby Wild Mike » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:20 am

Yep ... well, I went out this morning before coming in to work.

The side rails measure 5'-2" and the frame is 3' wide. The front brace is 4'-7" from the back and the overall from rear to front of ball hitch is 8'-8"

It really surprised me to see that was all there was. I know there is another thread discussing light wieght trailers. I don't have access to any scales that I could weight mine on right now ... so I have no idea on weight.

My tear is designed as just a sleeper and the floor is 3'-11" x 6'-10". With 1/2" sidewalls a 4' sheet will work for the roof. I'm going to try and pre bend the 1/8" luanne by wetting it and clamping it in place to dry.

Thanks for all the info and ideas ... and keep them coming !
Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques