Electrical Question.........

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Electrical Question.........

Postby Ken A Hood » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:35 pm

Link

Anyone use 1 of these as a "master" cutoff switch? I always thought that the "hot" (+) lead should be the 1 that's disconnected, not the (-) side.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:38 pm

Ken, I agree that the hot side should be disconnected. As a journeyman, I've never seen common, or negative switched, unless a double pole switch is used to break both hot and common.
The switch looks like it should work.
I'm going for an electric isolation relay that isolates the camper battery from the tow when the tow engine is off.
Have fun, Steve
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Ken A Hood » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:59 pm

Steve, I'm planning on going with a 6-pin connector, which I'll use the extra pin to charge the trailer battery from the car. I'm also planning on using a constant-use Isolation Solenoid (relay) [Kuffel Creek plans show the wiring diagram in detail] so I don't drain the tow vehicle. I just wanted to also have a "cut-off" switch for the battery in the trailer, so if I'm away or don't need power, I can kill all the circuits, since some fixtures( voltmeters, etc. use "phantom" voltages)......if that makes any sense....
That's the way I understand it anyway.........
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Battery Brain, JC Whitney's # 81SB 7213U

Postby nissem » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:14 pm

Hi there,

Has anybody tried above??

When the battery drains down to 11.9 V for more than 1 min. then it is supposed to cut of.

It sounds like a very good idea, if it works.

Price around $60.00.

Later,

Nils Mahler, Houston TX (Born in Sweden=Bad speller)
nissem
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jim » Tue May 25, 2004 1:23 pm

nissem,

I dont think that is what they are talking about... this is a manual cut off to physically disconnect power at the source... like a blade disconnect...

the item you describe is an electonic device...

For more info on these units I would suggest you look to some of the stuff that they are using in the "green power" setups. they are used quite alot in the solar electric field. I have even seen plans on building one of your own at www.homepower.com

the link direct to the article is
http://www.homepower.com/files/lvdhp60.pdf

They are efective, just remember that to run the electronic device you are also spending a small amount of your energy.
That thing got a Hemi?
jim
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 25, 2004 1:32 pm

I just saw a picture of a blade disconnect. Was that yours Joseph R?

Can you display that picture in a message here?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Battery Brain

Postby nissem » Tue May 25, 2004 4:36 pm

Yes Jim.

I do understand, that is why I am asking "Has anybody tried above??"

In my oppinion, as long as I have just enough power to start the pulling viechle when I am leaving, that's perfect.

I am going to try one out this summer.

Nils

jim wrote:nissem,

I dont think that is what they are talking about... this is a manual cut off to physically disconnect power at the source... like a blade disconnect...

the item you describe is an electonic device...

For more info on these units I would suggest you look to some of the stuff that they are using in the "green power" setups. they are used quite alot in the solar electric field. I have even seen plans on building one of your own at www.homepower.com

the link direct to the article is
http://www.homepower.com/files/lvdhp60.pdf

They are efective, just remember that to run the electronic device you are also spending a small amount of your energy.
nissem
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joseph » Fri May 28, 2004 7:39 am

mikeschn wrote:I just saw a picture of a blade disconnect. Was that yours Joseph R?
Can you display that picture in a message here?

It was mine but something's up with Yahoo so I can't show you how it's mounted in my teardrop. JC Whitney sells them.

The disconnect switch I'm using is mounted on my trailer battery and leads to the truck battery via a 10 ga. wire and 30 amp fuse. When shut, it allows the truck to charge the battery when the motor is running. Open, it disconnects from the truck battery so that using the trailer electrical system doesn't drain the truck battery as well.

What I'm saying is it's not a master cutoff switch for the electrical in my teardrop. If I want to do that, I simply disconnect the wires to the trailer battery by hand.

Joseph
Last edited by Joseph on Fri May 28, 2004 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Joseph » Fri May 28, 2004 8:32 am

Yahoo's behaving itself again, so here's how I rigged my battery disconnect. I have since lengthened the wire leading to the fuses so that it goes into the overhead of the cabinet and drops straight down to the battery.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques