Epoxy user manuals online...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Epoxy user manuals online...

Postby angib » Fri May 31, 2013 3:25 pm

You start out mixing small batches of epoxy.

After you've done a few, you get confident, so you try mixing batches twice the size. Half of the second or third double-size batch sets solid in the bottom of your mixing cup while you're still trying to use it. If you are unlucky, it sets solid with your favourite epoxy brush bonded into it.

After that you go back to the small batches you started with, happy in the knowledge that there isn't some clever trick that allows you to mix and use large batches.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Fri May 31, 2013 6:31 pm

Here are some close ups the best i could. I hope you can see the glass really is transparent.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370043086.639311.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370043086.639311.jpg (80.88 KiB) Viewed 24969 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370043098.231166.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370043098.231166.jpg (80.12 KiB) Viewed 24969 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370043106.908233.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370043106.908233.jpg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 24969 times
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:50 am

The Raka link gives a 404: Page not found error!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IslandStorm62 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks. I see the rounded edges you mentioned.
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Esteban » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Raka.com sells epoxy, fiberglass cloth, fillers, and tools.
Raka Epoxy Manual available to read online or to print a copy to better understand how to use epoxy. It is 9 pages long.

West System has videos and How To use guides that are very helpful. The use guides can be printed.
West System use guides and videos (additional use guides and videos are available on their web site):
Applying cloth and tape A very good West System guide for applying (fiberglass) cloth and tape.

Dispensing and mixing epoxy video
Adding fillers video
Fairing video
Applying Fabric video
Barrier coating video

Boat, kayak and canoe builders have websites that share good fiberglassing techniques:
Updated 9/10/13 How-to Make a Transparent Glass Lay-up by Laughing Loon Kayaks and Canoes.
The Task
There are many different techniques to apply epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth on stripper boats. The results of each technique can vary greatly depending on the skill, patience, powers of observation, ability to visualize, experience, and dumb luck of the person applying that technique. These are a lot of variables beyond the control of most novices. However, there are a lot of variables that can be controlled. This is my experience with fiberglass and epoxy lay-ups. What works well and not-so-well...
he continues with a very thorough step-by-step "how-to" description of his best fiberglassing techniques.

Fairing and priming the outside of the hull by Boat Builder Central shows the process of fairing (creating a smooth surface) with photos of the process all the way to a painted hull.
They also have a forum for sharing ideas.

Abrasion Resistant Fabrics, Fiberglass, Kevlar & Carbon. Common and Exotic fibers used in building wood strip kayaks and composite shells. by One Ocean Kayaks discusses the pros and cons and photo illustrates a full range of fabric choices.

Several teardrop builders have good building guides for a fiberglassed plywood teardrop:

Joanne's Desert Dawg Joanne built a Grasshopper style teardrop that she fiberglassed and painted. Her web site shares many helpful details of the construction of the camper from start to "finish" ("finish" in quotes because there is always more tinkering to do). I've had the pleasure of meeting Joanne and seeing her Desert Dawg teardrop trailer.

CampingClassics.com by Steve Fredericks has Information for the home builder and sells A Teardrop Builder's Shop Manual. I bought one myself. Steve's "inside out technique" for building a teardrop is a time and back saver. He leans toward building woodie teardrop trailers with clear finishes that beautifully show off their wood grains and colors.

Additional suppliers of epoxy and or fiberglass cloth:
US composites sells epoxy, fiberglass cloth, discounted carbon fiber, and many supplies.
solarcomposites sells a wide variety of composite fabrics.
ill street composites sells epoxy and a wide variety of composite fabrics.
Aero Marine an epoxy supplier in San Diego, CA.
MAS epoxies sells epoxy and has good How-To videos and articles on their web site.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 pm

2-Part URETHANE: http://www.polyall.com/index.html

Stuff works and does everything it claims. Used it on rotting plywood with a friend on his teardrop.

:thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the links Steve! :) I will be reading up on epoxy and fiberglass this weekend. :wine: with wine :)
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Esteban wrote:Raka.com sells epoxy, fiberglass cloth, fillers, and tools.
Raka Epoxy Manual available to read online or to print a copy to better understand how to use epoxy. It is 9 pages long.

West System has videos and How To use guides that are very helpful. The use guides can be printed.
West System use guides and videos (additional use guides and videos are available on their web site):
Applying cloth and tape A very good West System guide for applying (fiberglass) cloth and tape.

Dispensing and mixing epoxy video
Adding fillers video
Fairing video
Applying Fabric video
Barrier coating video

Boat, kayak and canoe builders have websites that share good fiberglassing techniques:
Updated 9/10/13 How-to Make a Transparent Glass Lay-up by Laughing Loon Kayaks and Canoes.
The Task
There are many different techniques to apply epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth on stripper boats. The results of each technique can vary greatly depending on the skill, patience, powers of observation, ability to visualize, experience, and dumb luck of the person applying that technique. These are a lot of variables beyond the control of most novices. However, there are a lot of variables that can be controlled. This is my experience with fiberglass and epoxy lay-ups. What works well and not-so-well...
he continues with a very thorough step-by-step "how-to" description of his best fiberglassing techniques.

Fairing and priming the outside of the hull by Boat Builder Central shows the process of fairing (creating a smooth surface) with photos of the process all the way to a painted hull.
They also have a forum for sharing ideas.

Abrasion Resistant Fabrics, Fiberglass, Kevlar & Carbon. Common and Exotic fibers used in building wood strip kayaks and composite shells. by One Ocean Kayaks discusses the pros and cons and photo illustrates a full range of fabric choices.

Several teardrop builders have good building guides for a fiberglassed plywood teardrop:

Joanne's Desert Dawg Joanne built a Grasshopper style teardrop that she fiberglassed and painted. Her web site shares many helpful details of the construction of the camper from start to "finish" ("finish" in quotes because there is always more tinkering to do). I've had the pleasure of meeting Joanne and seeing her Desert Dawg teardrop trailer.

CampingClassics.com by Steve Fredericks has Information for the home builder and sells A Teardrop Builder's Shop Manual. I bought one myself. Steve's "inside out technique" for building a teardrop is a time and back saver. He leans toward building woodie teardrop trailers with clear finishes that beautifully show off their wood grains and colors.

Additional suppliers of epoxy and or fiberglass cloth:
US composites sells epoxy, fiberglass cloth, discounted carbon fiber, and many supplies.
solarcomposites sells a wide variety of composite fabrics.
ill street composites sells epoxy and a wide variety of composite fabrics.
Aero Marine an epoxy supplier in San Diego, CA.
MAS epoxies sells epoxy and has good How-To videos and articles on their web site.

Thanks for the great info....
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques