HIDDEN COMPARTMENT FOR SAFE STORAGE OF VALUABLE ITEMS

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

HIDDEN COMPARTMENT FOR SAFE STORAGE OF VALUABLE ITEMS

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:46 pm

This was a thought that came to mind just recently. I was in a furniture store and a roll top desk had a sign on it. " I have a secret " (compartment)

It's a great sales gimic because after 10 minutes of looking I had to know so I hunted down a salesman ( now there is a roll reversal). I explained that another piece of furniture in my home would cause it to explode or sink but I had to know. It was cleverly hidden and was almost obvious once you were shown.

This led me to think where in my tear could I discretely hide my wallet cell phone watch or any other valuables in the tear while swimming or other such activities that would not leave them vulnerable if someone might break in to the tear during our absence.

I have found almost 1/2 cubic foot that is currently unused and easy to access. This will become yet another project for my summer of refinement
on Chubby.

This is yet another concept we may want to concider during a build. The front bulkhead , and galley walls and hollow spaces between inside ceiling and outside roofing or below floor storage areas could become a great place for those valued items to be safely stored and easily overlooked in event of a quick snatch and grab incident. We all hope we are with good kind folk but it ain't always so. Maybe these are ideas that make good sense.

:thinking:
Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:53 pm

I guess that's a common feature. We have an old secretary (piece of furniture not a person) that has a couple hidden compartments. Like you said, they are right in front of you, but wouldn't know that they were there unless you knew beforehand.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:19 pm

:thumbsup: Good idea. I hope I remember it before Spring :roll: ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:28 pm

I'm going to make the floor of my teardrop out of 2"x4" framing so I have extra storage underneath. If I put the carpet on right you won't even be able to tell that the floor comes up to access it.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jim540 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:07 pm

Tim,
I like your idea. I was trying to come up with a nice way to incorporate some concealled storeage in my trailer also. I was thinking about a drop floor section but I think that would be a little to easy to spot.

:thumbsup:
If you want to hear God laugh just tell him your plans.

Jim in Missouri
Jim540
Teardrop Builder

Postby prohandyman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:28 pm

I too was thinking of a recess under the floor, not neccessarily for valuables, but for soot-covered items like fire pit pokers, hot dog fork, pie irons, etc. A hidden area for valuables would be as easy as a false back in a cabinet.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:16 pm

SHHHH...

Don't give away the secret... :shhh:
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby prohandyman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:21 pm

Don't give away the secret

But my hidden area is the ......... in the ........ under the .........!
:twisted:
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby SteveH » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:19 am

I have two secret, hidden, secure areas....they are called my pockets! :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:16 pm

prohandyman wrote:I too was thinking of a recess under the floor, not neccessarily for valuables, but for soot-covered items like fire pit pokers, hot dog fork, pie irons, etc. A hidden area for valuables would be as easy as a false back in a cabinet.

Oh shucks ya found me out ! Seem a feller can't have a single good idea without someone out thinkin' him . :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Secret Compartments

Postby Steve Nikkel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:30 pm

Well, sounds like a good idea------until its found while crossing home from Canada---both border guardians consider them "drug smuggling devices". Florida has a law making it a felony to posess a vehicle with a hidden compartment in the state. (again DRUG Smuggling related charges even if empty)
Caveat Emptor,YMMV, ETC.
Steve Nikkel

I'm Draggin-----Draggin the Main once more
With a Peroxide Blonde in a hopped up model Ford.
(Brian Setzer)
Steve Nikkel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby caseydog » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:24 pm

48Rob wrote:SHHHH...

Don't give away the secret... :shhh:

Yeah... Um... if you post up your plans for a secret compartment on a public forum, doesn't it kinda' defeat the purpose? :thinking:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Secret Compartments

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:35 pm

Steve Nikkel wrote:Well, sounds like a good idea------until its found while crossing home from Canada---both border guardians consider them "drug smuggling devices". Florida has a law making it a felony to posess a vehicle with a hidden compartment in the state. (again DRUG Smuggling related charges even if empty)
Caveat Emptor,YMMV, ETC.

Canada might get away with it but Florida won't. We have a constitution that still "somewhat" works. Might take your camper for a few years. :thumbdown:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby s4son » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:13 am

I hide my stuff right under my Smith & Wesson. :)
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

hidden spaces

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:28 am

SteveH wrote:I have two secret, hidden, secure areas....they are called my pockets! :lol:

An additional plus to using your pockets is that while you're in there you can check on the "family jewels".

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques