New TearDrop Trailer Constructor Person

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

New TearDrop Trailer Constructor Person

Postby OkieSailor » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:16 pm

It all started with watching the Travel Channel with my youngest daughter. My daughter has developed a revived interest in camping. They have this show featuring TearDrop trailers and the question is casually asked by sneaky :angel: daughter of clueless :oops: father -- "Could you build one of those?"

I would like to thank everyone on this board who has posted photos and ideas. I have stolen ideas from you without any guilt what so ever.

But I still have a number of questions. I have aquired a complete with wheels and tires 2000 lb put together trailer for $92 (on sale). I want to build this as light as possible because of my daughters pull vehicle is an oriental rice machine.

I have made the 4X8 floor of 1/2 inch cdx on both sides of 1 1/2 X1 1/2 pine frame with two cross braces and two layers of 3/4 foil backed stiff foam insulation filling the empty spaces. All screwed together and Gorilla Glued. Nasty Stuff but good glue.

Will this be enough of a base to assemble the rest of the trailer? Or do I need to start over with Oak and 3/4 bcx ply or add additional ply to what I have assembled. Turning this into a work bench and starting over at this time is better than completely done and it comes apart while going down the road.

I plan on tying this base to 2 inch c channel steel frame. I am going to build an original old style TearDrop. With a few modern changes such as LED light strips in the interior and hatch.

The sides will use 4X10 1/2 inch paintd ply board of a type used to make outdoor signs and is extemely stable and weather resistant. This will use 3/4 x1 1/2 pine strips for frame and 3/4 foam insulation with oak used in stress areas like door hinges or cabinent attachment points. The interior is to be white so 1/8 pressed board is to be used inside. For a total thickness of 1 3/8 wall thickness

I have aquired some 1/4 thick smoke plexiglass for doors, but want to put a window in each door. I have seen photos of several units with this type of window in the door, does anyone know where to aquire this type of window for a plexiglass door?

Photos will follow when I have enough to make it worth while posting.

Comments and suggestions wil be greatly appreciated.
And yes OkieSailor is an oxymoron. :D
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Re: New TearDrop Trailer Constructor Person

Postby angib » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:44 am

OkieSailor wrote:I have made the 4X8 floor of 1/2 inch cdx on both sides of 1 1/2 X1 1/2 pine frame with two cross braces and two layers of 3/4 foil backed stiff foam insulation filling the empty spaces.

This sounds plenty strong enough - visit Rik Keller's site to see what a light floor looks like.

and then he wrote:And yes OkieSailor is an oxymoron.

You mean you don't sail a prairie schooner?....

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:25 am

Hi,

Check out Steve Wolvertons Cowper for lessons on light building. He has some good ideas.

http://www.stevewolverton.com/teardrop.html

It sounds to me like your floor is plenty strong. Your intended wall sounds like it would be heavier than necessary. Lots of folks here are building with 1/4" or 1/8" outer ply 3/4" frame and 1/4" or 1/8" interior ply.

I would suggest Mikes epoxy paint finishing method for ease and weight control and Steve’s' rubber edge trim as a finishing touch. Both are great ideas IMHO.

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques