Wood ok for a ice box?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Wood ok for a ice box?

Postby Eric Adams » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:06 pm

I have 0 experience with allumnum. Was woindering if I made the icebox in Advantech 3/4" plywood and coated all surfaces in some kinda sealant would it work fine as a cooler if insulated all around?

Didn't they use wood in the old days??
:)

2nd question... what easily obtainable (not epoxy, none locally) sealant to use on the wood?

I "could" order epoxy but I am trying for easy to get, Lowes, etc. :D
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:55 pm

Probably would, antique ice boxes had a zinc plated liner, like in my 49 Kit, soldered together. I would go the extra mile and do the epoxy though if scratch building, but then I'm a boat builder. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby DestinDave » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:21 am

I agree with Doug - epoxy would be the way to insure a watertight box. And much simpler to seal in the insulating material. What part of Western KY are you? I lived in Madisonville for many years. I know you could get epoxy resins at the marinas on the lakes and there is a West Marine store in Hermitage TN. I kept a boat at Green Turtle Bay Marina on Barkley and they have a great ship's store and service department there. :)
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:35 am

DestinDave wrote:I agree with Doug - epoxy would be the way to insure a watertight box. And much simpler to seal in the insulating material. What part of Western KY are you? I lived in Madisonville for many years. I know you could get epoxy resins at the marinas on the lakes and there is a West Marine store in Hermitage TN. I kept a boat at Green Turtle Bay Marina on Barkley and they have a great ship's store and service department there. :)

I work in Murray, KY and live by Mayfield. I goto LBL in my 1947 WIllys Jeep every so often.

I'll see if Murray might have a store that sells epoxy....

:D
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby BrianB » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:38 am

I'm going with an antique icebox too and you have two real choices (not counting epoxy).

1. The original way with 1.5" rigid foam insulation (originally cork) and lined with sheet metal. Use angle iron and silicon caulking to make an airtight box.

2. Rigid foam insulation and fiberglass the inside. Done correctly, it'll be watertight and Lowe's carries everything you need.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby DestinDave » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:40 am

I used to get drunk at Murray State a lot back in '72... Hmmmm. Probably destroyed a TD design cell or two in that process. Good luck with all of your project.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:18 am

DestinDave wrote:I used to get drunk at Murray State a lot back in '72... Hmmmm. Probably destroyed a TD design cell or two in that process. Good luck with all of your project.

Sorry to say it... I was born in 1972... :D turning 33 this year.
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:07 am

Anyone have a recommendation on what type of epoxy to use and hardening time? May buy US Composites...
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby BufordT » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:38 am

Ask Ross about his ice box. He did a great job on his. I didn't have time to ask too many questions. But he will help you out on this I'm sure.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Ross Wade » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Eric,

I know nothin' 'bout working with metals. However, a friend gave me several pieces of 1/4" aluminum. I cut all the pieces with a jig saw, filed the edges down and used JB Weld to "glue" all the parts together. If you have ever used 5 minute epoxy....JB Weld is very simular.
I have 1 1/2" of insulation surrounding the icebox and weather stripping along the lid.

If I can do it, anyone can. :?

Hope this helps.

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby angib » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:22 pm

Just in case the metal-epoxy idea goes too far, epoxy and aluminum works really well, but stainless steel and epoxy doesn't work at all.

Well, it might last to the end of the driveway, but no further.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:09 pm

Eric,

What about this....... Go to Wal-mart and buy a plastic cooler as close to your desired dimensions as you can find. Take your rotozip, hack saw utility knife or whatever and cut the outside case off the cooler. Now build your wooden case to fit and slide the liner and insulation down into the box. Use the lid that came with it or make a wooden lid and cut a piece of scrap foam insulation to fit snug in the top of the cooler and glue it to the lid. Use a can of spray foam insulation to fill any voids between the box and liner.

...or.....

Simpler yet buy a Rubbermaid container with a lid and a can of spray foam. Build your box at least an inch larger than the tub all around, set the tub inside, fill the space with foam and you have a leak proof ice box. Now attach the Rubbermaid lid to your homemade icebox lid sandwiching a piece of foam in between. Trim the lid to finish out the edges. Be sure to leave room for the spray foam to expand so it doesn't distort the tub.

This seems allot easier than bending, forming and sealing a metal liner. It would look the same from the outside and needs no special tools and could be done in an afternoon.

What do you think?

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:46 pm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wo ... gle+Search

when you are in there click on images below the google. and you will see some.

Ron D.
Last edited by Ron Dickey on Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:12 pm

Tsch, Eric!

you're a shooter, aren't you? go to www.sportsmansguide.com or www.cheaperthandirt.com and take a hard look at the big-size ammo cans.
Presto: instant liner. Build your wooden box 1 1/2'' bigger all the way 'round, and fill the voids with expandospray foaminsuliner -- as already described in this thread.

something like this: Image

can do greasy, no?
:eyebrows:
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Eric Adams » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:49 pm

Laredo wrote:Tsch, Eric!

you're a shooter, aren't you? go to www.sportsmansguide.com or www.cheaperthandirt.com and take a hard look at the big-size ammo cans.

That'd be neat but easy to rust. I think I'll got with fiberglass clotha and epoxy over a wood surface....I have a "line" on a local place with epoxy. :)
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques