Galley Hinge Source

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Galley Hinge Source

Postby WayneD » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:49 pm

Does anyone know of a supplier in Canada that would carry that specialty hinge for the galley hatch? I have a somewhat limited budget to work with so I'm going to have to salvage or scrounge parts. But that in itself is fun. :) Also a source for the door and hatch latches.

WayneD
WayneD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby len19070 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:09 pm

Wayne
I always use Li'l Bears Hinge.

http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/parts.html

But another source for obtaining hinge is if you go to a salvage yard and find a junked camper cap. That hinge will work just as well.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:10 pm

Wayne,
Here's a thought to chew on regarding the galley hinge...
How about hinges from the trunk of a car, with a weather seal on the entire perimeter?
Since my plan is to use copper on my roof, what I see availble in the hurricane style won't match the color of the copper.
I've been studying my design and a concealed hinge will work, but space is limited and I would have to get creative with the exterior vent duct work on the furnace, but it looks doable.
Anyone else out there ever used or considered using a concealed automotive type trunk hinge or built a hinge of this type to fit the available space?
BTW-I'm sure Grant can send you a hurricane hinge.

Geared hinges

Postby Guy » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:52 pm

Dear All,

What about using geared hinges from pemko or roton.? Check them out for your galleys.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:48 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Wayne,
Since my plan is to use copper on my roof, what I see availble in the hurricane style won't match the color of the copper.

Maybe you could get them anodized a copper color.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby WayneD » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:39 am

Thank you everyone. This info will help me out a lot. I'm still working on rough designs in my head before I commit to paper. And I like that trunk hinge idea. See what he local jumk yards carry. Thanks again. :)

Wayne
WayneD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:03 am

Wayne,
I spent some time yesterday looking at different types and styles of car trunk hinges.
The style that I liked the best that seemed like they would adapt well to a teardrop application came off of an older Mustang.
The pivot point base would mount to the side wall rather than the roof.
I decided to build my own, but I'm going to design mine from the Mustang style that I looked at.
A concealed hinge like this will still allow for an easy method to seal the hatch.
I'll be doing a double seal with recessed gutter area like you see on most automotive trunk systems.

Here's a crude illustration of the hinge setup that shows where the pivot point is and how the "hoop" and hatch clear the roof line.

Postby angib » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:27 pm

asianflava wrote:Maybe you could get them anodized a copper color.

No problem at all. But you might want to check the minimum order quantity - it's 1/4 ton at the anodiser we use...... :cry:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby WayneD » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Thank you everyone. :) These ideas help a lot and those auto hinges might work. Give me a new way to go. But I'm hoping to keep it water tight along that hingre so use it like an awning if I have to. Easier to cook in the rain when your stove isn't drowning. ;)

Wayne
WayneD
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques