Frame construction

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Frame construction

Postby johnp » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:32 pm

would someone smarter than me (almost everybody on this group)
tell me if 2x2 angle for a 6L X 5W frame for my tear(campinn style)
will be strong enough,

idealy id like to weld this up so i can use it as a duel-pourpose trailer,
im going to reinforce the roof for a cargo rack but also hook points for lifting it off the trailer, like alot of the hard-top-jeepers do when changing tops,

then drop a small stake-bed onto it for other hunny-do-stuff,, :cry:

hopefully getting some metal this weekend to burn-throughand try to stick togeather,

johnp
A weekend alone,,,,,,
Full gas tank.
Stopping at a stopsign, and askin what direction?
Wifes response---I dont care,,,
Finding an old dirt trail to nowhere,,,
priceless,,,,,
johnp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:19 pm

You didn't specify the thickness of your angle iron...

But I believe if you throw 3/16 angle on the main trailer, and a heavier tongue, you'll be fine...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:10 pm

I've used both for frames and my personal opinion is that the square is overkill and adds unneccisary weight. To me the critical part is the tongue. 3x4 single or v shape 2x2 0r 2x3. depending on how heavy you are building cabin. When using the angle for frame it should be boxed at the suspension location. Either of these will be stronger than a red utility trailer which I used for the first tear. No engineering to back this up; just experience from having tried all three.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:49 pm

Just about any way you do it that is well put together will work. Personally I would use 2X2X1/8" square tube for the main rails (much easier to mount the springs to) and 2X2X1/8" angle for the X-members to keep it light. If you A-frame the tongue you can go with 2X2X1/8" if you want to do a straight tongue use 2X3X1/8" standing up. Either way will easily carry the weight of a TD. And you will still have a good utilty trailer.
It is a good idea to use the 2X2 tubing for the front X-member since you are making the trailer dual purpose, this way you will have a little extra strength there when the tear isn't on it. If you do an A-frame, either way will be good tho.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques