Making Progress on Galley

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby IraRat » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:01 am

The problem with living in South Florida is that it's next to IMPOSSIBLE to really go into the backwoods anyway, without a really long drive.

My potable water will be in small bottles in a separate cooler anyway--if I can squeeze a few bottles in for the wife and kids. (Most of that space will be devoted to my beer.) The tap water is TERRIBLE in this neck of the woods, all of the way down to the Keys, and everyone drinks bottled anyway.

I envision using the faucet and sink more for washing up, brushing teeth, cleaning dishes, etc. I could probably screw a hose to a campground water supply and fill it up like that. (Pretty standard fitting.) Or just bring a case or two of water and use a manual marine bilge pump to fill the tank.

Heck, I was even going to consider eliminating the ice box, because those items can be kept in a separate cooler. It just seems like a nice convenience to have it there right near the range/stove and microwave.

I haven't given much thought to galley design yet (I have so much to go). But this thread interested me because it got me thinking NOW about this. As a matter of fact, if I give some more thought to this gravity-fed system, maybe I can run the same water supply to the side of the TD for a shower.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TonyCooper » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Having lived in Homestead and Florida City throughout my childhood, I know what hard water is...

Before the deep wells in Homestead supplied the Florida Keys with water via that big pipeline along US1, the folks that lived on the keys (and in Biscayne Nat'l Monument - Elliot Key area) used to capture rain water off their roofs and route it into underground cisterns.

At the time the Keys had one of the highest incidents of cancer in the US. I think New Orleans was one of the few places worse...

Anyways..., back to teardroppin...
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby Woody » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:20 pm

Honestly, Who out there drinks the water from there built in water tanks. :thinking: We use it for washing hands and the dishes. Florida tap water and campground well water here sucks :thumbdown: We carry bottle water, beer ;) , soda ,RUM :twisted: and juice for human consumption. :thumbsup: the last thing I need is gastrointestinal distress, the trots, :shock: while camping. Hangover, well thats different
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:35 pm

Woody wrote:Honestly, Who out there drinks the water from there built in water tanks. :thinking: We use it for washing hands and the dishes. Florida tap water and campground well water here sucks :thumbdown: We carry bottle water, beer ;) , soda ,RUM :twisted: and juice for human consumption. :thumbsup: the last thing I need is gastrointestinal distress, the trots, :shock: while camping. Hangover, well thats different

You got it Woody. If it's black and in my tankard it better be Guinness..... :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques