Frame and chassis coating...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Frame and chassis coating...

Postby DestinDave » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:15 am

If all goes well I'll be getting the HF 1175 frame this weekend and starting on the construction. I had intended on making the frame out of 2x4 and 5/8 sturdifloor. After bolting it to the trailer I was going to have the bottom sprayed with Rhino truckbed liner. However, my Home Depot has 5-gallon buckets of foundation sealer on clearance for $1.00 and I think a couple coats of this stuff would build up a thick waterproof coat very much like Rhino. What have others done with the frame/floor for sealing?
Also, for the HF trailer itself, is the baked red paint finish a decent finish or should I consider priming and repainting it also? I'm not sure I'll like the red anyway but I'm more concerned with corrosion prevention. I was thinking Interlux InterProtect 2000 epoxy primer then paint. All comments appreciated.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:06 pm

Not shure about the red paint on the HF trailer, but most folks seem to be using the black roofing tar from either Home depot or Lowes. It's only 5 bucks a gallon and it does a good job. Just be prepared to throw the brush away when you are finished and also make shure you apply it in a well ventilated area. :?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:47 pm

That roofing goop works real well. Don't forget drop cloth, rubber gloves and maybe sme clothes you might have to throw away. Another coat of good paint on that HF frame sure wouldn't hurt anything at all.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby benjamin » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:02 am

The Rhino lining would do a great job but I can see it being a little over the top. I thought about the Rhino Ling in the original planning of mine but after pricing to have it done and 5-10 dollars with of black jack and tools I decided against it. If I had my way I would take it in and have the thing coated with it but I have been told I need to start scaling back the price tag on this think. I have not gotten to the floor yet so there is a chance it could still be cover in a truck bed lining.
Pop ups are good (99 Coleman) But Tear drops are better!
The trees are talking are you listening?
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DestinDave » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:07 am

Benjamin - seems people are telling me that the black goop in a bucket is basically the same stuff as the Rhino lining s far as protection goes. I know the truck lining is more of a plastic base and the sealant is more like a tar (petroleum) base product but if it will protect the bottom and the wood, it's a $%^& cheaper... Think I'll just do the black goop... I can always pay next year to have the thing put up on a lift and sprayed if need be.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby benjamin » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:14 pm

That to was my consensus I have already bought the black jack roof sealant as it was really cheep when I came across it at the lumber yard. My thought was it was going to be a muck cleaner application. But being cleaner does not offset the coast difference at this time. I am having the bed shot on my pickup trailer this spring and thought maybe having it all done at the same time. But like I said I have opted not to have it done at that time.
Pop ups are good (99 Coleman) But Tear drops are better!
The trees are talking are you listening?
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:35 pm

I like the idea of the Black Jack, or other roof goop. Is there a problem with road stuff getting stuck, people getting stuck if needing to climb underneath, or the warm weather melting it? I live where it can get 120 degrees during the summer. Is it going to melt all over the place?
Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:24 am

I re-did my utility trailer, which is about 15 years old and needed paint.

I backed it up to a tree, and used a comalong to stand it on end, and tied it in an upright stance. I wire-brushed surface rust, primed and painted it with spray rust resistant paint. Put the trailer back down, and did the top.

I figure, with the tear, I'll put it up on ramps, get underneath and keep up with any rust that appears with rustoleum.... the h/f frame is powder coated, or so I've been told.... I don't expect major problems.

The bottom of the floor was done with roof goop. It dries hard so road debris will not stick very much...

These things can be way overthought. And, I think, I will someday build a second tear, after I figure out what I really want.... I expect I won't do anything different with the frame.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

undercoat

Postby teetom » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:36 pm

i found some stuff at auto zone in 28 oz cans for $ 9 a can. spray on rubberized undercoating. 2 cans did the whole floor and the undersides of the fenders. it seems pretty tough.
teetom
teetom
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques