A different thought on skins

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:38 am

I don't know what the company says about it but I know a couple of guys that sprayed it on plywood deck and have used it for several years with good results. It was painted first.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Skinning Options?

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:07 am

Hi Powderburn,

Welcome to the forum. Have you already reviewed these skinning options?
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/skinning.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:57 pm

Yep, it sounds like you really needed a teardrop when you started your new job. I know you're not planning on moving again, but you'd better get that teardrop built anyway!!! ;)

Regarding the Uniflex 255, it's very very durable. I haven't gotten any scratches in my finish yet. But then again, I haven't dragged it along a stone wall either!

But lets say something happens. And you do get a scratch... just touch it up with paint. Or even repaint the whole thing! It'll look as good as new again!

Regarding building a teardrop without a galley, that's what Arne did. I know that it saves some time initially, but would I do that? No. It's too hard to go back and add a galley and a hatch later. Just ask Arne or Frank. I would at the very least add the hatch now, and come back later and put in the galley!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:17 pm

The uniflex 255 is $87 a gallon. I believe you could do an entire Weekender with 1 gallon. But yes, you would want to put some epoxy resin under that. I used CPES, but really any thinned resin would work.

That squared trailer that you saw is my Weekender design. It was originally designed to go together in a weekend, or perhaps a long weekend. No one has ever built the design as I originally saw it, not even me. I built a lightweight versions with thin skins and sticks. Frank is going to finish building that one for himself! Here's the orignal design:
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/design.html

The original intent was for the panels to be 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together, painted with Uniflex 255 on the outside, and finished with stain and poly on the inside. The hatch, was really really simple, just a board! I built a mockup out of 1/2" OSB to validate my theory. Michelle and I built the whole thing in a morning one saturday! Here's the build photos:
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/mockup.html

Of course you couldn't build the real thing out of OSB. It would fall apart on the road. But a good plywood would be just fine!

I've played with many angled designs, and you're right, most of them don't look that good. If you want to build the squared weekender, this is the profile to use:

Have fun! Remember to take some photos and share them with us.

Mike...

P.S. If you start your build on Saturday morning, you might be done Sunday night. That doesn't include your trailer, or the painting of course!!! So what ya waiting for? :?
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques