Hub face measurement

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hub face measurement

Postby jasonnilsson » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:56 pm

my tear will be 60" at the spring center but the body will be about 63".
My question is, what length axle should I get from hub face to hub face?
Once again I am still new to all of this and still looking for all the info I can find.Thanks
Jason
jasonnilsson
Teardrop Builder

Postby SteveH » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:25 pm

Jason,

You need to find out what the back spacing is on the wheels you are going to use, multiply that by 2, add the width of the trailer, and add twice the clearance you want between the wheels and the trailer.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jasonnilsson » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:49 pm

Thanks for the info! Thats the answer I was looking for!
Jason
jasonnilsson
Teardrop Builder

Postby Syekick » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:40 pm

The formula is clear and all the data is available except the "amount of clearance you want."

How does a novice like me have a clue as a good figure for the clearance. Is 2" good or should it be 5"? Lets face it, the amount I want is far enough away from the side of the trailer so that it never touches but close enough so it doesn't look "funny." :cry:
<b>Fudd's First Law of Opposition: </b>
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over.
Syekick
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:22 pm

Syekick wrote:The formula is clear and all the data is available except the "amount of clearance you want."

How does a novice like me have a clue as a good figure for the clearance. Is 2" good or should it be 5"? Lets face it, the amount I want is far enough away from the side of the trailer so that it never touches but close enough so it doesn't look "funny." :cry:

An inch is sufficient, 1 1/2" is plenty, it won't be able to hit even if the shackles wear out and 2" is more than you will ever need. I generally try to keep an 1" - 1 1/4" between the tire and trailer.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:36 am

I bought my wheels and had the tires mounted before I oredred my axle. With the wheel & tire laying on the ground, I measured the distance from the wheel hub (with the tire mounted) to the floor. Multiply that by 2 added 4in (tire to sidewall distance on both sides) and the outside dimension of the trailer. That should give you the axle width you desire. Don't forget that the tire will add some offset to the wheel.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques