Puffin 2

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Steve

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:Just outta pure curiosity what did the puffin two fetch on ebay?

I don't think it sold yet. The economy is so bad, that things are having a hard time moving, even on ebay. We had two items on ebay that ended tonight, and both ended without a bid. That's very unusual.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

I hear that

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:04 pm

What were you selling mike?
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby grant whipp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:57 pm

steve wolverton wrote:... It's a tiny little car ... Honda 600. :D Front wheel drive, 600cc (32hp), air cooled, front engine. I'm having fun with this one ... :twisted:

As you've no doubt already discovered, Steve, this is one little kick-in-the-pants car ... :thumbsup: ... and they go like stink on the autocross courses (it was the only car in my class that I couldn't beat, but then, the driver had about 5 more years of experience, too ...)! Enjoy the hell out of it ... I know you will!

CHEERS!

Grant

p.s. - Good Luck on the sale of the trailer ... :thumbsup:
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:58 pm

I really loved those early Honda's. Believe it or not there is a place in Excelsoir Springs that converts the big bus that's in the back ground into RV's and cut's the Honda's down like the one in the front so that they fit in the underbelly luggage area of the bus. I still don't know if that's cool or make's me sick since I like those cars.

Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby apratt » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:28 pm

steve wolverton wrote:
Wimperdink wrote:Does the new project have anything to do with boating and camping?

Here's the new project - neither camping nor boating.

It's a tiny little car. It's a Honda 600. :D Front wheel drive, 600cc (32hp), air cooled, front engine. I'm having fun with this one. I'm going to put an obscenely loud stereo system in it and take it around to shows. :twisted: I've already blacked out the windows, and I have some aluminum wheels on the way.

The camper is back on ebay.

One of my Cousins had one of them. I think it was in 78', She drove from Frensno Ca. to Seattle, Wa. for 6 dollars worth of gas. :shock:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Donutboy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:59 am

grant whipp wrote:As you've no doubt already discovered, Steve, this is one little kick-in-the-pants car ... :thumbsup: ... and they go like stink on the autocross courses (it was the only car in my class that I couldn't beat, but then, the driver had about 5 more years of experience, too ...)! Enjoy the hell out of it ... I know you will!

Ah yes...I remember the autocross days. Standing around in the middle of summer in the hot Texas sun for eight hours to get three 45 second runs in with my Miata. It was fun but...
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

And the winner is.....

Postby Ruby Colorado » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Ruby Colorado aka Rebecca Price in Golden CO. I purchased Steve's Puffin 2 on eBay and it's going to live in Bastrop TX on my land there. I'll make a few modifications (some ventilation! some electric changes, business graphics) and it will become the Feline Diabetes traveling ambassador. http://www.felinediabetes.com

Wonder if I dare have a trailer hitch installed on my beloved red 98 TDI bug? Though I think the Tundra will handle it just fine!

Loved reading this thread. Thanks, guys.

_Rebecca
Vintage Trailer Addict
Ruby Colorado
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:02 pm

WooHoo! :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: And the winner is.....

Postby packerz4 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:56 pm

Ruby Colorado wrote:Ruby Colorado aka Rebecca Price in Golden CO. I purchased Steve's Puffin 2 on eBay and it's going to live in Bastrop TX on my land there. I'll make a few modifications (some ventilation! some electric changes, business graphics) and it will become the Feline Diabetes traveling ambassador. http://www.felinediabetes.com

Wonder if I dare have a trailer hitch installed on my beloved red 98 TDI bug? Though I think the Tundra will handle it just fine!

Loved reading this thread. Thanks, guys.

_Rebecca

your bug will tow that camper no problem. mine pulls mike's 800 pound trailer no problem... mine is a '99 tdi.

welcome to the forum!
~ Go Packers! ~
www.2bagalot.com
packerz4
Donating Member

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:15 pm

Where is this elusive puffin 2 :thinking:
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Elusive Puffin 2

Postby Ruby Colorado » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:04 pm

Still sitting on my land in Bastrop - under a tarp since it is a major leaker! But cute like you wouldn't believe!
Vintage Trailer Addict
Ruby Colorado
Donating Member

Followup on Puffin @

Postby Ruby Colorado » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 pm

Steve overall did a bang up design, but there are problems So, some friendly feedback on the Puffin 2.

It leaks like a sieve! One of the problems is no caulk applied to the rain deflector over the door. I think this is what causes the floor to fill with water when it rains. However, the panel to the right of the door also swelled with the first rain and hasn't been the same since, especially the paint. Seems odd if exterior grade plywood used for the exterior.
Haven't figured out where the water comes from on that. Everyone, caulk, caulk, caulk. You should see an Airstream body before the interior finish is done. My god, half the weight of that trailer must be caulk!

Another problem is that although the dropped floor makes it nice for a shorter person to stand up, it makes it impossible to avoid any road hazards or take the Puffin 2 on an unpaved road, especially with potholes. For example, my sister's driveway!

#3 is that with no ventilation, even one person spending the night in that tiny space results in mucho humidity and unpleasant heat and still air. I will definitely be adding a roof vent and probably a screen door, if not an opening window.

It is wired for 12V but with the battery inside. I would like to remind everyone that batteries placed in the interior must be in a sealed battery box with venting to the outside. Obviously, I will correct this.

It is cuter than a bug! The first time I saw it, I laughed out loud because it is so ridiculously adorable!

Best,
Rebecca
Vintage Trailer Addict
Ruby Colorado
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Rebecca,

Really feel bad about your experiences with the leaky trailer. As I write this my latest trailer is sitting outside in the rain, as it has many days in the last few weeks. Aside from a slightly stuck lower door which shall be repaired soon as it dries out, it is water tight and cozy, the trailer also has a Fantastic fan and windows in each end for ventilation. I guess I learned a little building boats about keeping the water out. As far as trailers go, the leakers are commonly referred to as "garage queens"

I feel compelled to tell you that a tarp over a trailer can trap condensation and when the sun warms the tarp it becomes quite the eco-chamber and could cause plywood de-laminaton damage. Just so you will know what might be coming next.

regards,
Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:50 pm

:oops: I'm sorry I didn't mean to open a bag of worms. I am building a TD as we speak and getting ready to skin I will heed your advise;on the caulk.

I was under the impression that there was another puffin build under way
I thought yours was puffin #1 sorry too hear the bad news hopefully you can rehab the problems.
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Condenstation etc

Postby Ruby Colorado » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks, Steve, for the warning. I do know about this tarp problem, especially in a humid area like central Texas. No problems with tarping in Colorado or AZ though!

Fortunately, I have the best brother-in-law in the world who checks on my trailer every day. Nope, he's not available. He's all mine!
Vintage Trailer Addict
Ruby Colorado
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques