Cubby Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cubby Question

Postby nickster60 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:56 am

Can you build the floor of the trailer before you get the trailer. I would like to get something done while I wait for the trailer to be shipped.
nick
nickster60
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TomS » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:18 am

I was in a similar situation. I started my project in the middle of a New England winter. I do not have a garage. I started by building various components in my basement.

I decided not to build the floor first for several reasons. One, I'd never get the 5 x 8 floor assembly out of my basment bulkhead. Two, I wanted to have the trailer frame together so I could verify the exact location of the cross members.

Instead, I made the plywood sides, bulkhead frames, roof spars, doors, interior cabinet frames, cabinet face frames and doors, and a drawer box.

Now that Spring is here, I'm finally able to build outside. I put the trailer together last weekend. I built the floor assembly yesterday afternoon. It went together pretty fast. I plan to coat it with asphault emusion, install the insulation and bolt it down to the trailer frame today. Also, I didn't make the plywood hatch. I'm installing the spare tire hanger in that location.

If you're looking for something to do while waiting for your HF trailer frame, laying out and cutting the plywood sides would make very productive use of your time. It will really help you visualize how things are laid out.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Cubby Question

Postby ssrjim » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:40 pm

nickster60 wrote:Can you build the floor of the trailer before you get the trailer. I would like to get something done while I wait for the trailer to be shipped.

That is just what I did. It can be done. In fact I had just about the whole top together by the time the frame came.

Was it easy, No. But it can be done with really careful measuring. I was not careful enough so it was even harder but all turned out well.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:11 am

Nick, it depends on your trailer.

Like Tom said, your 2 X2 (or whatever) wood frame that the plywood gets connected to and THEN gets connected to the trailer...well, those have to sit on top of the steel crossmembers of the trailer. And depending on which trailer you're getting, and how you're going to modify it per the Cubby plan, you don't really know where those steel crossmembers will exactly sit.

You additionally want to assure that everything squares up to a true 4 X 8. (That's MY next step--the floor.)

As far as modifying that trailer, it's not always as easy as it looks in the plans. (See my post above "Harbor 90154 Owners!" )

And Tom--any reason you're putting the spare tire in the middle as opposed to the front? And are you reinforcing the rear for an icebox?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:45 am

IraRat wrote:And Tom--any reason you're putting the spare tire in the middle as opposed to the front? And are you reinforcing the rear for an icebox?

I didn't mount the spare tire under the front because the tounge assembly is in the way. Since I decided early on not to build the floor hatch, this location seemed like the most logical place to put that spare.

I am not building the water tank/pump assembly or the built-in icebox. Instead, I'm building a large slide-out a shelf for a cooler and a 7 gallon Aquatainer water jug. Therefore, I do not need to reinforce that portion of the floor for the water tank.

Speaking of the floor, I completed my floor assembly yesterday afternoon. I coated it with fibered asphalt emulsion per the Kuffel Creek plans. Man o man! That crap is nasty stuff to work with. It's kind of like painting with molassas. Only, molassas smells much better.

I got more than 1/2 gallon left over. That's more than enough to undercoat another tear. It's free for the taking provided you can come by and pick it up.

I got a family event today. But, tomorrow, I plan to install the insulation in the floor using silicone caulk and bolt the floor assembly down to the frame. The insuation is faced on both sides, so I'm not concerned with the caulk reacting the foam. I'm really looking forward to putting those sides up.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:13 am

Thank's for the warning on the asphalt. I had a feeling that some of the stuff that looks easy would turn out to be a real pain!

You bought the insulation 4 X 8, right? What brand, and what did it run you a sheet? (I always thought it was kind of odd that the insulation is basically uncovered on the bottom, exposed to the elements. But I guess that isn't an issue.)

I take it you're not going to paint the trailer until the deck is on, or until the end. I haven't decided yet.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:11 pm

IraRat wrote:Thank's for the warning on the asphalt. I had a feeling that some of the stuff that looks easy would turn out to be a real pain!

You bought the insulation 4 X 8, right? What brand, and what did it run you a sheet? (I always thought it was kind of odd that the insulation is basically uncovered on the bottom, exposed to the elements. But I guess that isn't an issue.)

I take it you're not going to paint the trailer until the deck is on, or until the end. I haven't decided yet.

The asphalt emulsion isn't difficult to apply, it's just unpleasant.

I got four sheets of 4 x 8 x 3/4" Dow Super Tuff-F insulation from Lowe's. I plan to use two layers under the floor for a total thickness of 1 1/2 inches. I'll use the left overs to insulate walls.

I painted the trailer frame with flat black Krylon earlier this weekend. That awful red just had to go.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby larryl » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:28 am

Nick:

We are building our TD Cubby before we assemble the trailer frame. We have the floor built,sides and roof spars installed and insulated. The inside skin and outside alum. side skins have been installed.

Will be finishing up electrical, galley and even installing the airconditioner before the trailer frame is complete. My workshop area is small, so I am assembling the 5X8 Cubby in our lower family room. We have a walk out basement with a 6' X 6'8" gliding door. On "moving day" we will be removing the sliding door panels and rolling the Cubby on a make shift dolly to the its frame. I plan on using torque screws and PL adhesive to attach the TD to its trailer. Trailer will be a Redtrailer 5X8.

LarryL - Father and Daughter Project
larryl
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques