Door hinge questions/ideas!!!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Door hinge questions/ideas!!!

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:40 pm

I am just about to start mounting the doors, I am doing a woody and am not going to have any aluminum around either the door or the frame. I'm doing it all in epoxy and wood. My question is, since my tear does not have insulated sides, and the hinge mounting material is end grain on plywood, have people had problems with hinges wanting to tear out? I'm thinking that I will drill out the ply to 3/8" sink a dowel with epoxy and then screw into that. Has anyone out there had this issue? PS. my latest photos are posted in my album for anyone interested. Thanks in advance. 8) Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Try geared hinges

Postby Guy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:06 pm

Dear Doug,

You could try geared hinges and the dado a piece of fine hardwood which would go over the cap on the geared hinge.

When you screw into ply edge drill a hole about a little wider than the screw about 2/3 of the depth of the screw. Then epoxy only the 2/3 depth and the other third will be into the wood. That will suffice for eternity especially if you use a continuous geared hinge since these hinges distribute the weight across the entire length of the hinge. The manufacturers have a tremendous assortment of profile for these hinges. And this will be a lot stronger than any dowelling technique. Furthermore, the geared hinges are completely waterproof.

Try this companty:http://www.pemko.com/ for starters[/url]
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:23 pm

Thanks Guy...I'll give'em a look. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Door hinge questions/ideas!!!

Postby WoodSmith » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:41 pm

doug hodder wrote:...the hinge mounting material is end grain on plywood, have people had problems with hinges wanting to tear out? I'm thinking that I will drill out the ply to 3/8" sink a dowel with epoxy and then screw into that. ... Doug Hodder

Doug,

I'm not sure that it will be an issue. Remember that each plys grain runs perpendicular to the next. Unless you have small screws, thick plys and get very unlucky, you are going to have a mix of end grain and edge grain (likely even for the same screw.)

As for fixing it with a dowel epoxied in, how do you plan on putting the dowel in? Unless you drill a hole through the thickness of the plywood VERY close to the edge and put the dowel through the ply, you are still screwing into end grain right? You could epoxy in a spline I suppose.

My Dad built a camping desk out of partical board in roughly 1968. Our family camped in a KOA campground all summer long while he was taking summer school to get his (Masters?) degree. As a high schooler, I had that very same desk in my bedroom. When I went to college, it came along. It now has been repainted and is in use on the floor in my daughters room as a dress up clothes toy box. It still has the original hinges - 2 simple chest hinges with 3 screws per leaf. They show no signs of coming out.

I think hardwood ply ought to hold your hinge screws.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:58 pm

I bagged the entire hinge. I went with one on the hinges that Grant has. I think that it will work out better for me. I figured out how I wanted to do it, but it wasn't worth the time as I want to have things done to go to Ne. and I didn't want to clown around with the doors. I think that his hinge will work a lot better. I just got together with another builder locally today and saw what he had. I'm going with the other hinges. Doug Hodder, thanks for the replies.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:39 am

Let me guess... Offset Piano Hinges? :thinking:

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques