Need Help With Trailer Plans

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Need Help With Trailer Plans

Postby TeardroppinIt » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:20 pm

Hello all. I am new to the forum as well as to any of the "tiny trailers". My husband and I have always been tent campers and are now looking into building our own teardrop trailer. My number one conern is how much the average trailer weighs. I know, by making it ourselves, we can make it any size we want. Our car has a towing capacity of 1000lbs. We were planning on purchasing a very simple 4X8 trailer as a base that weighs approximately 200lbs. Is it possible to make it all under 1000lbs? We are wanting some very simple (as most of them can be!) and really want to get started on the project.

Also, we haven't gotten plans yet, any suggestions on where to go for the best plans? I saw there is a plan section on this site but I haven't explored it yet. I've also seen some on ebay, but I don't know how legit they are. As you can see, we need some help. :thinking:

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give.
TeardroppinIt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SteveH » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:32 pm

First, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for information on teardrops and building them.

Most people are using the Harbor Freight trailers for frames, especially the ones desiring to keep it light.

As far as plans are concerned, take a look at Andrew's site: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear00.htm There are several really good designs there and with just a little construction knowledge, you can build a teardrop from any of those plans.

Good luck, and I'd advise doing a lot of reading on this site. There's lots of good information here. The search function also works very well if you are looking for something in paticular.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:35 pm

Welcome,
You might want to check out Steve Wolverton's Cowper... It's a simple design and it came in well below 1000 lbs. (I don't think he did a galley though)

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:22 pm

Welcome to the forum. What kind of car ? Is that 1K with full passenger and trunk load ? Go back and search and read a bunch and you will learn a lot from the great people here. 1,000 -1200 ponds should be about average I think. A lot depends on trailer frame and built in items. To reduce weight I just build a shelf or two in the galley. Tires and rims vary a great deal in weight also.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:35 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Welcome,
You might want to check out Steve Wolverton's Cowper... It's a simple design and it came in well below 1000 lbs. (I don't think he did a galley though)

467 pounds. :) You're correct Dean, no galley in mine.

http://www.stevewolverton.com/cowper.pdf - I really need to update those plans.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:39 pm

steve wolverton wrote:
Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:... and it came in well below 1000 lbs.

467 pounds. :)

Yaa, That's well below 1K... :lol:

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques