Couple questions

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Couple questions

Postby Wxhead » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:27 pm

Just found this site, and as a matter of fact just thought of this idea after my last kayaking trip in which my tent just wasn't as comfy as it used to be. I know I can dig through old posts, but thought I'd just ask. I saw Desert Teardrop's site. Does anyone have an opinion of their plans? Plus I saw a guy welding the frame of the trailer in a picture. I've got the woodworking skills, but welding? I don't think so. Anyway, I was wondering. Can you just pick up like a utility trailer say at Farm and Barn, or a Home Depot? Desert's site wants 60 bucks for plans, but if they are detailed, it would be worth it, other sites I've seen plans for like 10 bucks or so.

Any feedback would be great.

Peace, Perry
Wxhead
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BobR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:35 pm

When I first decided to build a teardrop I purchased those plans...I was NOT satisfied. If you are looking for a trailer with no welding required see the link below (for the Cubby). I know the author and they are the best plans I have seen to date. They are not perfect but there are enough people on this forum who have used them to help you overcome any obsticles you may encounter. Kevin is also very willing to answer any questions you might have.

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/8'_cubby.htm

If you want to go from scratch...check out Larry Sorenson's Outback teardrop...this is where I started...

http://www.outbackteardrop.com

Hope this helps....you can see my tear at

http://www.bobsteardrop.com
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:47 pm

Welcome to the forum. I have a 10 ft sit on mounted to the top of my tear now and can open the galley with no problem. Use the search function and read, read, read. The utility trailers are fine but read what has been said about them. The main thing with them is the little wheels and you usually have to relocate the axle closer to the rear.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ceebe » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:04 pm

I too was less than impressed with Desert Teardrop's plans. The Kuffel Creek plans are a much better deal for the same money. In either case, don't expect that every detail of construction will be spelled out. I figure that if you're thinking of building a TD, you have some creativity of your own to bridge the gaps in the plans.
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby norm perkiss » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:15 pm

Wxhead,
Welcome, I used the Kuffel Creek plans as a basis for my Teardrop. Lots of good info. Though the wealth of knowledge on this site would provide similar information. Kevin's plans gather it together in one document. And anything you need help on, just ask. Someone here has done it.
Norm
norm perkiss
Gold Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:04 am

norm perkiss wrote:Wxhead,
Lots of good info. Though the wealth of knowledge on this site would provide similar information. Kevin's plans gather it together in one document. And anything you need help on, just ask. Someone here has done it.
Norm

That's the best way I've seen it expressed.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby larryl » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:19 am

Welcome:

We are about 70% complete with our TD. Highly recommend the Cubby plans, found the shopdrawings very helpful. There are several bolt together trailers from Harbour Freight. I decided to go wider , 5' instead of 4'. Really happy with that decision. Redtrailer.com, Quakerown Pa. offers a bolt together 5X8 trailer. They will ship anywhere. Tom S. is in the process of assembling and gives us updates.

This site has been excellent.

Larry L
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby Wxhead » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:06 pm

Thanks much for the input! This will get my search started, may even order up some plans this weekend. Get used to me, I'll be asking lots of questions.

Thanks again, Perry
Wxhead
Teardrop Inspector

Postby emiller » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:23 pm

8) I went with Outback teardrops design
emiller
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques