recycled windows and five foot hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

recycled windows and five foot hinge

Postby dboyd » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:04 pm

Hello Everyone,
I noticed a camper shell had windows about the size needed for a teardrop, or so I thought. It reminded that I still had one of those HEAVY old camper shells on my grandparents place. I went to look and see if the windows were of any use and discovered that the windows were around five feet long. The ants and termites had reduced the camper shell to almost nothing. I decided to remove the windows incase they could be of some use in the future. I discovered that these windows could be spit into two seperate windows. I removed the top and bottom rails(square drive screws)and used a chop saw to cut them. under the plastic trim in the center is the same mounting flange that you see on the rest of the window.
the outside dimentions for the windows are about 27 1/2" wide by 16 1/4 high now. I think they are too big for use in the doors, but they could be used in other places.

I also think that I can us the rear door hinge for my galley hinge. I will have to cut away part of it and drill screw holes. the hinge could be used for a five foot tear. The hinge works simular to the hinges waterproof hinges that sell for around fifty bucks.
it takes a little work to use the windows and hinge from one of thes old campers but if you don't have that much cash and you have an old camper shell around, you just might be in business. I'm not cheap, I'm just thrifty. Don :)
There is nothing I cannot do, I just seem to be better at some things than others.
dboyd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby beverlyt » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:37 pm

Don,
Hmmm... great idea on that hinge.

We're actually going to throw on winter coats tomorrow and rain hats and spend the morning at the junkyard. (suppose to be miserable weather here in Michigan tomorrow)

I'm not coming home until I've found the windows I need for the Widget.
Lots of windows in old truck campers to be had.

We did the same thing for our teardrop windows and got them for 10 bucks each.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby dboyd » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:21 pm

Hi Bev,
my mother and father in law live in ypsilanti. I have been up there several times and freeze each time. I have the urge to go ice fishing one of these years(watched the movie grumpy old men too many times). It sure doesn't take long to get alot of money in a small trailer. you dont realize it until later on that you have spent more than you have planned. I think the hinge will work well; it will just take time to remove some of the extra metal. let me know what you find on your search of the junkyard. I always liked going to a junkyard; you just never know what kind of neat stuff you will find. Don
There is nothing I cannot do, I just seem to be better at some things than others.
dboyd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby beverlyt » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:58 am

Hi Don,
Well, we found a few things at the junkyard. Spent two hours hiking around.
Found 1 window for the Widget, size 16 1/4" by 31 1/4". We'll get the other window soon. I've also found some little windows that we will set up in triangle formation for the door, etc.
Also a small table. We're also looking at a small propane frige for $15.00.
We've spent about $20.00!

Bob and I checked out the truck camper hinges. I think you're right... they look like they would work for a useful hinge!

Bev
Brrrr....yep, your in-laws live even further north than I do!
beverlyt
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques