glueing to varnished wood

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

glueing to varnished wood

Postby Southern Oregon Bob » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:15 pm

If I put marine varnish on the inside of my inner 1/4" ply for condensation protection, will that effect how well the glue bonds when I glue it to the inner frame and pink foam. Is there a glue that would work better for that purpose. Bob
Southern Oregon Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rickxr2 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:35 pm

Glue does loose a lot of it's grip when trying to adhere to varnish. It can't soak into the grain of the wood. Even Gorilla glue won't stick quite as well. My choice would be liquid nails. Something you might try, if you know where the glue line will be, you could run a strip of masking tape on the paneling before varnishing, then pull off the tape for an unsealed glue surface.

Hope this helps,
Rick
Image Image Image
Rickxr2
The 300 Club

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:46 pm

I wouldn't have used the varnish. It would have been better IMHO to use epoxy glue all over the panel when you glued it to the rest of the wall, and it would have sealed the wood even better than the varnish.

However, now that you've done it, I think I would sand it with some coarse sand paper and then use epoxy.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:27 pm

I would just scuff up the area where you want the bonding, give it some sort of "tooth". I don't think that a yellow glue is going to do it for you, but I feel confident that an epoxy would. I think that a urethane glue needs a more porous surface. i've only used it on uncoated wood however. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Southern Oregon Bob » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:01 am

Thanks for the suggestions. It is not to late for any of them as I have not put anything on the ply yet. Bob
Southern Oregon Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques