newbie, planing on my first build

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

newbie, planing on my first build

Postby bigmcgiv » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:14 am

:? am i crazy or is it everyone plans to build one are nothing more than head aches . well im going to build one by illistrations on the web . see i have a old pop-up that some on gave me. so theres my frame im getting it on mon. see i was thinking of a hf folder but im a big guy and 4x8 i think is going to be too tight so im lookin at 6x9 or 6x10. so wish me well . i got a set of 35 ford rear fenders at a swap meat for 30 for the pain the guy had no clue what they were from. so i need to get some matching windows and im ready to start. wish me luck and im shure ill be back for some advice also ill have pics of the project my goad is to get it done by aug 1.tks matt
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beverlyt » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:32 am

Matt,
I'm also using a old pop-up trailer chassis. It had to be cleaned up some and repainted, but looks like a keeper. We're building a 6' x 10' Tiny trailer.

That's going to be a fairly good size trailer you're building. Are you planning on keeping the ceiling height low..like a teardrop profile?

Hatch?

Do you have any plans written down we can see?

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby bigmcgiv » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:07 am

i plan to keep the contour correc. im going to do side sketches once i clean and prep the frame im figuring a height of 5 foot. see im 6,3 and about 295 and im like a 58 in jacket so im going to make it big enought for me and keep the look . im calling mine the big boy model :R
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bigmcgiv » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:14 am

no i dont have any plans yet im just getting the pop-up on mon so give me a week or 2 and ill have pics and info
:thumbsup:
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bigmcgiv » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:02 am

hoping to meet some one close by so i could look at theirs and get some ideas . i havent seen any around here. tks matt 8)
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ceebe » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:27 pm

I don't think the building of a TD has a lot of headaches. It just seems that way becuz the members of this forum (including me) just tend to analyse ideas in great detail and depth. :roll:
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby bigmcgiv » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:15 pm

im sorry if i came off wrong . i plan to go to great detail. but the plas i have sween are old or made by a co. that mass producing on a custom frame. so no mater what ther going to mods. i plan to use a microwave and have a tv dvd player and a stereo in mine. tks matt :thumbsup:
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:46 pm

I've built all of mine based on the 1942 Mechanics Illustraed plans. They give all the neccesary info. Can't remember the site but I'm sure someone can come up with it.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bigmcgiv » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:46 pm

cool i got the plans . also was taliking to jin this is his sitehttp://www.buchfink.com/ he gave some tips too 8)
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kevin A » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:47 pm

bigmcgiv wrote:cool i got the plans . also was taliking to jin this is his site http://www.buchfink.com/ he gave some tips too 8)

Hi Big,

Thanks for the link, I really like the way Jim did the hatch ribs. Doesn't look like they'll allow much chance of spring back from the outer plywood skin. Might have to redo mine if I have any trouble with springback. I see lots of other cool ideas from Jim's site as well.
:thumbsup:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby norm perkiss » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:59 pm

Bigmcgiv,
Here is a link to one of the Popular Mechanics plans.
The link is at the bottom left of the Southern Cal Teardrops Site.

http://www.socalteardrops.com/

Norm
norm perkiss
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques