Cost of Aluminum?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cost of Aluminum?

Postby bennelson » Fri May 06, 2005 12:07 pm

Hey guys,

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of what the cost of aluminum for a 4 x 8 cubby would be?

I would like to build one this summer, but am still trying to decide on a number of options, including what the exterior will be.

I may go with a painted wood exterior, as that seems like the simplest way to go. (yeah I know, use the GOOD paint!)

I have heard that the aluminum can be the most expensive part. I am not sure yet how much money I want to put into this.
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Re: Cost of Aluminum?

Postby exminnesotaboy » Fri May 06, 2005 1:24 pm

my cubby will use 4 sheets of 4'x10'(the smallest I could get) of .032" and I will have some good size chunks left over. Those sheets were approx $65/per sheet at a local metal supply store. If I went up to the .040", it would have been approx $80/per sheet. They were able to roll the .032" stuff individually to about 2ft diameter. They wouldn't roll the .040 stuff for me.

as for the aluminum trim, I just bought a ton(well, maybe not that much :) ) of 1/16" by 1/2" aluminum angle for $0.34/foot at the same metal supply store. This will be used on the doors and the outside edging.

I believe I paid about middle-of-the-road prices from what I have heard from others.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Fri May 06, 2005 1:46 pm

It might be a little more expensive, but will save a lot of work, if you buy all the trim from some of the teardrops specialty places. Most of them have the stuff that does not have to be annealed to bend it around the radiuses. More cost, but alot less work and time when you install it.

Not sure who all has the stuff, but I got some from RW Johson.
Sorry I don't have the link right now, I am on the wrong computer. I will try to post it later or maybe someone else can give it to you in the mean time.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby exminnesotaboy » Fri May 06, 2005 2:14 pm

almost forgot: I got my aluminum "T" molding for the doors, the aluminum galley hinge, the aluminum drip rail, and the windows through Grant at Lil'Bear - prices are on the site
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Geron » Fri May 06, 2005 3:26 pm

Looking at my invoice for my aluminum from Wrisco Industries in Atlanta, GA I paid 189.18 for 4 sheets of 4x10x.040 mill finish aluminum. More than enough to cover the chubby. The .040 works really well also.

Bought my T moulding and edge trim and hinge along with door hdware from this guy at the Teardrop fix it shop.

http://www.teardropparts.com/index.htm

Maybe that much more in Trim and Hinges.

I'm using T5 aluminum from Hd for the hatch. Let me assure you, the T1 from the TD shops works much much better. Much softer and bends like butter.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

SOURCE OF ALUMINIUM SHEET

Postby darockrider » Sat May 07, 2005 12:50 am

I have found that if you have a TRAILER repair shop in your area who does repair of Highway Semi truck trailer you may be pleasantly surprised at the prices for rolled sheet Al. A local RV place quoted me over $30 a running foot for .040 AL roof sheet (102" wide) At the local trailer repair shop I got an offcut from a roof skin(typ 40~53' in length) for $11 and change a foot. It may take a little more work to polish it up but for the price I can live with that. These were canadian dollars by the way so you boys to the south should do even better!

Gerald in Winnipeg :thumbsup:
darockrider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby James (tinbender) » Sat May 07, 2005 12:57 am

i just gone done with the outside of my cubby.i bought .040 alum.so with 4 sheets of alum and all the trim it 485.00 the alum i bought was painted white on one side
James (tinbender)
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques