Would this sidewall construction work?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Would this sidewall construction work?

Postby GregJ » Fri May 06, 2005 6:08 pm

I’ve been hanging out for several weeks and really enjoy the forum. Mike, thanks, it’s a great site.

I’m not sure I’ll ever build a tear, but if I do it will be to support a couple of empty nesters on their summer travels around the country being pulled by some high MPG, maybe convertible small car. Probably not the Vibe we have now, not really a road car, but maybe a Z-3 or something similar. Anyway, small and light will be the name of the game.

I’m curious what the experts would think about using ½ or ¾ plywood as a core for a set of insulated walls. Rather than stick-frame the core, cut out the ply and replace with foam where strength isn’t needed. If hardwood were needed at the rear and door hinges a piece could be let in with a tongue and groove. Same on the top edge to attach the roof.

Looks like the plywood would be a lot cheaper than poplar anyway and a lot faster.

Just musing… :thinking:
Greg Jones
GregJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Fri May 06, 2005 6:18 pm

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby GregJ » Fri May 06, 2005 6:24 pm

asianflava wrote:You mean like this?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/johngwalkerjr/detail?.dir=99c0&.dnm=b8a9.jpg&.src=ph

I knew it had to have been done, but hadn't seen it. Yep, more or less just like that. Thanks...
Greg Jones
GregJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby lmh222 » Fri May 06, 2005 9:41 pm

That is exactly how I'm planning to do my sides too. If I'm lucky and the rain holds off, I'll probably end up cutting those holes out tomorrow. Seems like a good way to do it to me - of course, I haven't tried it yet though so it might be a pain in the butt. It seems easier and possibly more rigid than a stick-built frame.

Lindsey
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques