Rear hatch questions

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Rear hatch questions

Postby JunkMan » Sun May 08, 2005 7:28 pm

Well, I am finally making some progress, got the wall frames made, and hope to glue the exterior plywood to them tomorow. But before I glue the plywood to them, I want to figure out how I am going to make the hatch seal. Mike was the only one that had really detailed pictures of his hatch that I could find.

I like Mikes idea, but since I am skinning the sides with aluminum, I don't think his plan will work for me. I couldn't find any other good pictures of how to make the hatch seal. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby larryl » Mon May 09, 2005 7:51 am

Junkman:

I try to get a picture posted, but what I did was to attach a piece of bulb style w/stripping under the aluminum trim that goes on the sides.

I will also be installing another piece under the 1" X 1" alum. angle trim that will be attached to the galley hatch. This gives me a double seal.

LarryL
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby brickz » Mon May 09, 2005 9:22 am

I did same as Larry. I used a "D" shaped w/stripping (thinks it's the same thing). Just plan ahead so there's a little gap between hard surfaces to accomodate the compressed stripping.

brickz
"A single accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions" - Admiral Grace Hopper
brickz
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Mon May 09, 2005 9:37 am

I used double "D" shapped weather stripping and it's working great. Placed the D's kind of like Mike's wood system. One D facing down attached to the lid and another D facing up attached to the tear. The water has to get by the first D and then go up and over the next D.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 09, 2005 2:16 pm

SteveH wrote:I used double "D" shapped weather stripping and it's working great. Placed the D's kind of like Mike's wood system. One D facing down attached to the lid and another D facing up attached to the tear. The water has to get by the first D and then go up and over the next D.

So when the hatch is closed, the two weatherstrips are next to each other?

The other question I have, is what do you put on the top edge of the side wall, the same aluminum trim that joins the walls to the roof?
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Salivanto » Mon May 09, 2005 2:39 pm

Do tell... where do I find Mike's drawings? They might not work for you but perhaps it will work for me.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 09, 2005 3:04 pm

Salivanto wrote:Do tell... where do I find Mike's drawings? They might not work for you but perhaps it will work for me.

Woops, I meant Steve's pages :oops: (Mike's Diner)

Here's a link to the hatch section http://www.steve-frederick.com/diner15.html
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 09, 2005 7:28 pm

I thought I had posted the drawings here...

http://www.mikenchell.com/lildiner/

but I just looked and there wasn't anything...

So it looks like I'll have to go digging for drawings...

Mike...

P.S. I'm sure there are some in the messages, if you do a search for lil diner... like this for example...

I'll dig up the rest for you real soon!!!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Mon May 09, 2005 9:46 pm

So when the hatch is closed, the two weatherstrips are next to each other?

The other question I have, is what do you put on the top edge of the side wall, the same aluminum trim that joins the walls to the roof?

Jeff,

Yes, when my hatch is closed, there are two weatherstrips, one nest to the other. One is glued to the hatch, and one is glued to the trailer wall. The trailer wall has a moulding simular to the one that covers the roof/wall joint. It is the same moulding that I used to cover the door edge.

I'm certain there are many more and maybe better ways to do it, this is just the way I figured out how to do it.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon May 09, 2005 10:18 pm

Steve, did your hatch have any leaks on the way back from LA?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue May 10, 2005 7:27 am

asianflava wrote:Steve, did your hatch have any leaks on the way back from LA?

Rocky,

No, the hatch had no leaks. Wish I could say that for the door. :(

Coming back from Purtis Creek, we ran in rain from Waco to Georgetown and the widows also leaked. Learned there are some plugs in the widow frames that are supposed to be removed to drain the water, and since I mounted my windows essentially sidways from how they were designed, had to drill some weep holes in the frames. Now they don't leak.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dave Nathanson » Mon May 16, 2005 10:42 pm

I just replaced my galley hinge. I'll see if I can post some photos in a few dyas. We got some really detailed shots up close of the edges & everything. The most important thing is to make sure you get your (hurricane) hinge on facing the right way!!!
:oops:
Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

What about the hinge on top?

Postby KZ76017 » Tue May 17, 2005 11:33 pm

I'm building my hatch now also.

What about the hinge on top? how did you keep water from running through it? I'm think of using something like the stripping that you would put on the botton of the garage door so when you lift the hatch it would still cover the hinge.
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques