fiberglass fenders

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

fiberglass fenders

Postby AmyH » Tue May 10, 2005 1:52 pm

Has anyone on the forum ever built their own fiberglass fenders? I have been thinking about this lately, since I decided to widen my tear to 5' and build over the tires halfway. I have some general information regarding one-off and plug and mold construction, but having never tried either method yet, it would be nice to hear from someone that has. If anyone has advice to offer, I would love to hear, particularly concerning how to paint them to protect the epoxy from uv (ie. what paint products are best and how to get a really nice smooth paint job). Not sure how to go about doing this. Also, it would be nice to know how thick to go with the layers, etc... to make them nice and strong.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue May 10, 2005 5:42 pm

You can take layers of building foam and carve to shape then cover in layers of 'glass. This is a common technique for experimental aricract construction. (There was mention of a site relating to this method in a thread somewhere here) Once you get the shape done, carve out the inside,and cover it too. Sand and prime with a good auto body primer. then paint as you would a car. Since you will cover in paint, U/V issues shouldn't arise.
I was going to do this with my 'Diner, but, once I saw the fenders Mike got fron Grant, I had to change my plans!! ;) ;)
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques