void's in my ply

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

void's in my ply

Postby type82e » Thu May 12, 2005 2:56 pm

ive cut out my profile and have found some voids in the top of the 3/4 ply one is 2" deep but 1/2" wide another is 2" wide and 1/2" deep
do I just fill these with glue or something else
its because I used seconds ply and I'm on a tight budget. They were $10 each as opposed to $70 at Bunnings hardware (our version of home depot?)
marcel
type82e
Teardrop Advisor

Re: void's in my ply

Postby Joanne » Thu May 12, 2005 3:13 pm

type82e wrote:ive cut out my profile and have found some voids in the top of the 3/4 ply one is 2" deep but 1/2" wide another is 2" wide and 1/2" deep
do I just fill these with glue or something else
its because I used seconds ply and I'm on a tight budget. They were $10 each as opposed to $70 at Bunnings hardware (our version of home depot?)
marcel

I think I would cut a small piece of wood that would just fit into the void, then glue it in.

If you have epoxy resin, you could mix up a putty and fill the void with the epoxy putty.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby AmyH » Thu May 12, 2005 4:20 pm

If you can find this stuff called "QuickWood", it is a great epoxy putty that you can just press into that void. Should work well, but I have never tried it in that kind of application. I have found it at the Home Depot close to my house, so I think you can probably find it at your local Home Depot or Lowes,

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

voids

Postby David Beckett » Thu May 12, 2005 4:53 pm

I used Fixall to fill my voids. Just add water, mix, and putty in place. Sand when cured.
David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

Postby purplepickup » Thu May 12, 2005 5:47 pm

I've used el cheapo plywood in the '70s to make cupboards in vans for camping before they had conversion vans. When I'd find a void I'd fill it with popsickle sticks covered with glue...kinda like Joanne suggested. Since I didn't know how deep the voids were I poked the sticks in til they stopped and then broke them off. I used as many as it took to fill the hole. After the glue dried I used a little wood putty to finish them off and you could hardly tell where the void was. Of course I wasn't real fussy either :lol:
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

re: voids in plywood...

Postby vinoscooter » Thu May 12, 2005 5:55 pm

Old farmers trick,now w/new technology....Mix sawdust w/waterproof liquid nails...work fast...wear rubber gloves...make a solid workable paste...push into all voids...let dry for a couple of warm days...sand....They used to use anything they had to mix w/sawdust...waxe's, varnish,pine pitch,even paint...The liquid nails thing As I was told is by far the best...Sometimes low tech...might work...?
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques