Such a deal!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Such a deal!

Postby TomS » Fri May 13, 2005 10:01 pm

I've been looking around for a better shelter for my tear drop project. We've been getting a lot of rain (every damn weekend), making it hard to work on my tear (I don't have a garage).

I spotted an ad in the local newspaper for this 12 x 20 canopy at Ocean State Job Lot for $150. So I went to the Westboro, Mass. store and picked one up last night. I set it up today. It came with walls for three sides. As you can see from the photos, I now have plenty of room. I backed the trailer in there with the car. We're getting more rain tomorrow (of course, it's Saturday). I'll get to see how effective it is at keeping the water away. The shelter is pretty substantial. I'm hoping that it will stay dry enough that I can work under it on rainy days.

J.C. Whitney has these shelters from the exact same manufacturer in 10 x 20 for $320 for just the canopy and frame. If you want the optional sidewall kit, that's an additional $150. And then, of course, there's shipping. It's too big for UPS, this puppy's gotta go freight. So, I think I got one Hell of a good deal on this thing. :thumbsup:
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Boodro » Fri May 13, 2005 10:19 pm

Hey Tom , looks good. I started my build in 1 of those last August. I got mine at Sam's Club for 199.00 & got all 4 side , 2 sides have 3 windows in them & 1 end zips into 2 pieces. Very handy, just remember if you are leaving it up a long time I would put some kinda anchor on the corners at least. I use 6 screw anchors & rope to anchor mine. The anchors are like the ones used for dogs. Or to go the poor mans anchor ,use some cinder blocks tied to the ropes!!! ;) Other wise if a good wind comes up you might find it down the road! :cry: Look in my album , I think you can see my setup. I moved into my shop just before winter. Good luck :thumbsup:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Marck » Sat May 14, 2005 4:08 am

Good deal, If you check out my "six-pack tear" page in the hall of fame, you'll see that I have been building mine in something very like your shelter.
I got my 10 X 20 at the Wal-Mart I work at. It was a display that got blown down in a bad wind, I got it for $50 bucks and had to do a few repairs, then wrap the sides in tarps (didn't come with sides). except for this past winter when it got too cold to work, I have been doing fine in mine.

Good luck with yours.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Marck » Sat May 14, 2005 4:09 am

Good deal, If you check out my "six-pack tear" page in the hall of fame, you'll see that I have been building mine in something very like your shelter.
I got my 10 X 20 at the Wal-Mart I work at. It was a display that got blown down in a bad wind, I got it for $50 bucks and had to do a few repairs, then wrap the sides in tarps (didn't come with sides). except for this past winter when it got too cold to work, I have been doing fine in mine.

Good luck with yours.

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Marck » Sat May 14, 2005 4:09 am

Good luck with yours.

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby TomS » Sat May 14, 2005 7:35 am

Boodro wrote:Hey Tom , looks good. I started my build in 1 of those last August. I got mine at Sam's Club for 199.00 & got all 4 side , 2 sides have 3 windows in them & 1 end zips into 2 pieces. Very handy, just remember if you are leaving it up a long time I would put some kinda anchor on the corners at least. I use 6 screw anchors & rope to anchor mine. The anchors are like the ones used for dogs. Or to go the poor mans anchor ,use some cinder blocks tied to the ropes!!! ;) Other wise if a good wind comes up you might find it down the road! :cry: Look in my album , I think you can see my setup. I moved into my shop just before winter. Good luck :thumbsup:

The sun was going down as those photos were shot. Right after that, we ran out to Lowe's and picked 6 ground anchors and 100' of 1/4" nylon rope. We came home and staked it down in the dark.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat May 14, 2005 10:40 am

We have used those at a couple of gatherings for our pot luck dinners. Great cover for a group.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques