Heat?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Heat?

Postby february1966 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:37 pm

Hey guys, I'm from Ohio and I do like to do some cold weather camping. Since this is my first build, I don't have the experience with heating one of these.

Since I mostly camp without 120v, I need to heat some other way. just enough to keep me and the missus warm and to keep the water from freezing.

any suggestions? Particularly on the water issue. (to anticipate your questions (a 15gal tank mounted in the galley cabinets with a little space to insulate the tank)
5 kids & dog!! Teardrop or padded cell?
february1966
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chris C » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:48 pm

Try a padded cell. :rofl2: :wacky Think it would be safer and quieter. :lol: Now, for heat..................the only thing I can think of away from 120V is a flame..... :shock: ........no, I don't mean a campfire inside your trailer :lol: , but something more like you'll find at this site: http://store.yahoo.com/fulfillmentadven ... src=google
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Cutterpup » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:35 pm

february1966 I have used "a hot water bottle" to keep my tent mates warm in weather down to 0. I have also used the hot water bottle when my son took my winter bag and left me my summer bag for a winter campout with the scouts. My bag was rated for 50 deg and it went down to 5 deg over night. I used two quart bottle filled with 190 deg water and sleeped soundly. As for heating the trailer in the winter ANY OPEN FLAME CAN BURN DOWN THE ENTIRE TRAILER. Saying that I have used a coleman lantern to heat a tent for a short time before going to bed for the night. However you will find that the teardrop will stay warm with just body heat or at least 3 very large dogs. ;)

Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

heat

Postby ellisdee9091 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:41 pm

here is the url for a 12v heater...it works great providing your trailer is well-insulated
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12vo300wahef.html
ellisdee9091
ellisdee9091
Teardrop Inspector

Postby purplepickup » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:04 pm

Being a northern winter camper too I'm looking at the furnaces here http://www.ducktec.com./itmidx14.htm . Mike recommends and uses them.

You never know when the temp can drop from the 60's into the teens during a November camping trip. :snow
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby TDMusher » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:37 pm

I'm not too worried about heat in my TD. I have insulated it, will have a good sleeping bag or lots of bedding, but most important.....in the fall and winter my tow vehicle will have 4 siberian huskys sleeping in it. If I get too cold I'll just invite 1 or 2 to sleep with me. ... I can go all the way down to a 4 dog night :lol:

TD Musher......
Les
TDMusher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby San Diegan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:59 pm

An Electrowarmth Bedwarmer could be the answer.

http://www.electrowarmth.com/

The Kuffle Creek Cubby plans reference it. I have one on order. There are 12V versions. I suspect, in our insulated tear bodies, a very low setting and current draw will keep things quite toasty in cold weather.

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby George Kraus » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:05 am

Hey February

What part of Ohio you from?

George
Started on the long road to happiness
George Kraus
Donating Member

Next Q

Postby february1966 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:13 am

I'm living in the Dayton area, though I grew up just north of Y-town.

OK. Blankets (Check), water bottles (Check), furry animals (Check???). This is going to be one weird camping check list.

Any ideas on how to keep the fresh water from freezing though? Or is this just not a problem?

I've looked at the Zodi.... but if the water freezes, say overnight, then the Zodi won't work. Plus my water tank is mounted under the galley counter. not a good place to light a zodi.

A friend suggested a ceramic heater plugged into an inverter. Would this work? My first thought is that it would use to much power.
5 kids & dog!! Teardrop or padded cell?
february1966
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chip » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:34 am

Aint this great,, I am sweating like a big dog, record heat has gripped the good ole USA and the coolest spot around is above 10,000 feet,, and we are trying to figure out how to stay warm in sub freezing weather,, I guess if we cant have cool weather at least we can talk about it,, come on fall weather, summer can move on any time it wants to,, :lol: :thumbsup:

staying toasty warm at the moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:23 am

I know that I saw an older post that had a link to a heated blanket that cost about $20. I did a search but could not find it. Does anyone remember where the post is? It was 12volt and I think it was from a place called something like "the sportsmans depot" or tomething like that.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:32 am

...Gerdo, this may be what you were looking for
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=155887
madjack 8)

here is another
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:39 pm

I thought that if it gets really cold, and you drink a lot of ALCOHOL, you won't feel the cold that much!!!

This has to be true, because I saw drunk Santa say this in the opening scene of "Miracle on 34th Street."
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Chip » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:00 pm

Rat,, I tell ya what,, as soon as it starts to cool off a bit a couple of the South Carolina crew will be glad to scientifically test out that theory,, course it may take several trips to fully gather test results,, We, as professionals of highest integrity would not want to post or make any false assumptions from just one test,, volinteers may be recruted to assist us in our evaluation of warming beverages,, pay aint any good but the benifits are ok,, asprine will be provided to any and all who may have adverse reactions to testing materials,, as a liability issue,, absolutely no placebeous (???) will be used in the duration of the test,,
we will keep ya up on the test and any ongoing assumptions derived from the test..

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby IraRat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:06 pm

I volunteer for those tests!

But if I'm part of the placebo group, I'm going to be real pissed!!!!

----------------------------

Oh wait--let me correct myself, Chip! VERY smart man!

NO placebo group!!!!!!!!!!

(Simply brilliant!)
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques