Ordering my AXLE

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Ordering my AXLE

Postby Ken A Hood » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:56 pm

I've found a supplier for my torsion axle. But, I'm not sure whether to go with the 2000 or 3500 axle. My tear is going to be larger than the standard. It'll be 6'wide 5'high and approx 11' long..10' frame with a curved overhang. (Similiar size to MIKE'S BAJA)

Is a 3500lb w/brakes overkill? Or is the 2000lb w/brakes OK? Also I was told that a 0 degree offset was the same as a 4" drop. What is a 10 degree up angle equal to?? and the 22.5 degree up angle equal to?? Was also told I'd need 12" min added to the frame for the hub width, and more for the 3500lb. If ordering with brakes do I need a controller to?

I'd like to order it this week, since the prices go up next week.

Thanks, Ken
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby emiller » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:38 am

go with the 3500 axle
emiller
Donating Member

Postby mexican tear » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:15 am

I agree the 3500 lb has bigger brakes and bigger is always better in brakes. In brakes it is easier to stop the trailer if you can use the trailer brakes.

I had my 2000 lb axle modified to use the bigger brakes, because it was the right size for me. I cost a little over $100 here in Mexico. I can imagine what a machine shop in the states would cost you.
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby MikeM » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:54 pm

Ken,

Check with your axle supplier to see if you can get the 3500# hobs put on the 2000# axle.

Sounds like your trailer is going to be in that grey zone. It could be pushing that window of the load capacity for a 2000# axle but well below th 3500# axle.

An axle that has too high of rating will bouce your trailer to pieces.

Torrsion style axles are great if you know the weight of the trailer. I'm going to use a 3500# axle with a pair of 1000# springs for a 2000# load capacity. The heavier axle will give a hub pattern that will match my tow vehicle and beefier bearings and seals.

Over sized brakes are not always better. Too big of brakes will make your brake proportioning out of balance. It is nice for the trailer to HELP with stopping the vehicle. But, you will lose control of your towing rig if your trailer out brakes your rig. Kind of like the tail wagging the dog.

Check with your axle supplier about the proper brakes per weight and size of the trailer. Depending on what you are towing your trailer with you shouldn't need very much for brakes.

Mike
MikeM
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques