My New Build

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

My New Build

Postby Rhino Ray » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:23 am

Hi all, I have been lurking for quite some time but it is now time to post my own build.
After much research I decided to build a 5X10 using ideas I gleaned from mostly this site.

I started by buying the steel for the frame and welding it together.

I used a Tourflex axle careful to make sure it was the correct width and application for what I wanted to build. I am towing it behind my 52 Chevy so I wanted to use the same tires and rims on the teardrop.
Stored in the garage.

Painting the frame was the next step.
It was easy to flip over at this stage.
I wanted to see some progress so I decided to cut out the walls after carefully planning where everything went.

I decided to put some cabinets under the floor.

I painted it with two coats of primer and then flat black. Notice the groves in the wood so I can run the wiring. All seams were calked and sealed.

Now for the sides.

Attached to the floor from underneath. These saw horses were a godsend. Easier to work on underneath.

Better view of the floor hatches.

Now time for the flooring.

I'm still working on it, wiring, floor hatch trim then cabinets. Will post more later.
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

My Build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49746
Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Re: My New Build

Postby grant whipp » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 am

Looking good, Ray ... :thumbsup: ...!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby pappaw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:28 am

Hey Ray:

That's going to be SWEET! :FNP

Great job.

Cheers: Jeff :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Postby Rhino Ray » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks Grant, I'm looking forward to those fenders. 8) I cant wait Jeff, :twisted: I'm planning a trip in early July. I should be done long before that.
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:24 pm

You're doing some very nice work there!!! :thumbsup: Keep it up.

One thing that has me a little concerned, and it may just be a trick of the camera angles, but it sort of looks like you have the axle trailing arms pointing towards the tongue, instead of 'trailing' the axle. Sure hope that is either an optical illusion, or just a temporary situation you did due to some convenience factor or other.

Maybe I'm just seeing something that isn't there.
Anyway, you're going to have one nice combination of TV and camper when you are done. Good work. :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:57 pm

KC, nice catch, looks like I have to correct that one. I have been working on the electrical.

Figured it was time to put it on the frame.

With a little help from my friends.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby suckerpunched » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:39 pm

lookin very very good....I'm wish I had the patience and skills....and the chevy...
TC
If you see my harley on a trailer,,,,call the police cause it's being stolen...
suckerpunched
Teardrop Master

Postby Rhino Ray » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Yes, I'm planning to tow it behind my Chevy. The sides will be painted the same color, Candyapple Red. :D

inside skin going on. I will soon start on the ceiling base then the skin.

I am also cutting out the wood for my cabinets. I had a bit of a mishap this Friday. Using a table saw a piece of pine kicked back and went through the tip of my left middle finger. It split it open and took about 2/3rds of my fingernail and a piece of bone with it. Spent about six hours in the emergency room getting patched up. I guess no pain, no gain, or I have put my blood, sweat and tears into this build. Still, I'm back to cutting up the rest of the wood for the cabinets and even typing with what's left of the finger. Ill post more photos later.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm

We gots sum REAL talented peeps here !! Love the Chevy !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rhino Ray » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:32 pm

canned o minimum wrote:We gots sum REAL talented peeps here !! Love the Chevy !

Thanks, I cant wait to tow my teardrop with it.

Here is the tail light, running light connection under the trailer. This will make it easier to work on in the future.

Working on the interior.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby parnold » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Wow! Working quick and looking good. Very nice job on the frame. I so envy someone who can weld.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:55 pm

That is my buddy Tim doing the welding. It's always nice to have good friends that can do stuff you cant.

I worked on the interior this weekend, finished installing the interior skin and put two layers of finish. I sanded in between the two layers, wiping the dust off with a damp cloth. I may do one or two more layers depending on how it looks.

The plywood on the floor is just to protect the vinyl while I apply the finish. I have already cut part of the frame for the cabinets and will work on that next.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby BillZ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 am

Wow you work fast! Fantastic looking fit on the interior ply!
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:58 am

Love yer work ! Love the teardrop ! But... DO TELL.. what about the CAR !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rhino Ray » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:18 am

BillZ wrote:Wow you work fast! Fantastic looking fit on the interior ply!

I was able to get 5 foot by 5 foot birch 1/8 panels from a cabinet shop. The width of the trailer is 60 inches, the walls are 5/8 inch so I had to cut off 1 1/4 inch of of each panel. When everything is square things fit. First try it was way off, I had to use a come along to tweak the roof into shape and it slid right in. After stapling and screwing the first panels in with a bunch of re-dos it fit. I then used contact cement to glue the second layer of 1/8 inch oak paneling cut from 4X8 sheets. There was some scrap but it looks good. I finished the last coat of Minwax this evening, I like the way it looks.

canned o minimum wrote:Love yer work ! Love the teardrop ! But... DO TELL.. what about the CAR !

Thanks, the 52 Chevy Coupe has been my previous project http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery.fcg ... d=15550906
I did most of the restoration including engine, interior and finally put in a 5 speed transmission and open drive line. I also put in air conditioning. Runs great and will look good towing my new teardrop.

I was inspired by my sister who lives in Eugene Oregon. She just entered her truck and teardrop in the Eugene Roadster Show and got People's Choice Award. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques