My New Build

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: My New Build

Postby Rhino Ray » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:44 am

I'm using this as my profile photo. 8)
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

My Build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49746
Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:15 am

Lookin' great! Ray ... :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: ...!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby BillZ » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:19 pm

I can't see the whole pic. Most of the Tear is cut off. :cry:
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby danlott » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:28 pm

BillZ wrote:I can't see the whole pic. Most of the Tear is cut off. :cry:

This forum does that on my wife's phone. If you touch and hold down on the picture the phone should give you the option of opening the whole picture. Atleast that is what works on my wife's phone.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Yep! It's a beautiful pair! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Verna » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Gorgeous :thumbsup:
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:34 am

Thanks everyone and especially you Grant. I appreciate all your advice and input. The experience of camping in a TD was an enjoyable one, easy to set up and I was mobile once there. We were warm and cozy at night and the counter space and storage was ample. I can't wait till I go on my next trip. :wine:
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby BillZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:54 am

danlott wrote:
BillZ wrote:I can't see the whole pic. Most of the Tear is cut off. :cry:

This forum does that on my wife's phone. If you touch and hold down on the picture the phone should give you the option of opening the whole picture. Atleast that is what works on my wife's phone.

Dan

I'm viewing on my computer. All of Ray's pics are cut off on the right side for some reason. I just realized that I can right click and select "view Picture"... :duh:

Ray, love following your build!
One thing my wife and I really love about camping in the tear is the quick breakdown. My wife especially, she hates breaking down! :lol:
I was always getting after her to help me break down the tent. Since we got the Tear, it hasn't been an issue.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby Rhino Ray » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks Bill. I'm using photobucket mobile as I do most of my posting with my iPhone. It may be the size of the photo that messes up the display. It displays fine on Tapatalk, an app I can read the blog on my iPhone but cuts them off when I use the internet. I feel the more photos the better. :D

We went camping with my sister who had all kinds of tents along with her TD. We had a 10 X10 comercial type canopy that is a snap to put up and take down even solo. She took much longer then we did. It's easy to set up with a tear. Love camping this way. :thumbsup:

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:05 pm

We went to IRG 4. What a blast! While there we were given some gas shocks for the gally by a fellow camper, I wish we would have gotten their name to thank them again. I installed them today and they work wonderfully!

The original pieces that came with them were too flimsly so I had to make new ones from a gate hinge and drilled enough holes to secure it firmly.

I got a part from the hardware store to attach the bottom making sure it had enough clearance to close the hatch.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:12 am

A lot has happened since the last post. Time for a bit of an update. As you can see I tow the TD with my 52 Chevy. That has caused a few problems with the old car. The rear springs just got tired and the extra weight of the TD caused the 60 year old parts to sag. Sound familiar? Well they have been replaced and should do the trick. Also the engine doesn't quite have enough power so this winter I'm replacing that with another that will give it another 50 horses.
I'm also working on sealing the bottom edge of the TD. I should have photos soon.
So far I took it camping three times and used it for the t shirt business twice. I also took it to two car shows. I'm totally enjoying this and glad I took the effort to build the teardrop!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353215502.258724.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353215502.258724.jpg (18.79 KiB) Viewed 1707 times

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:26 pm

love the color!
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Richard Miller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:32 am

Hi Ray, I read your built from beginning to end and I'm really impressed, Looks great. I'm also impressd with your '52 Chevy it really looks nice too.
can you tell me what the final weight of your trailer is or what the tongue weight is ?
I'm kinda in the same delema as you, the springs on the rear of my t-bird are starting to sag and I've installed Monroe air shocks to give it alittle extra help, hopefully that will be enough to control the extra weight.

I'm also running a T-5 trans behind the y block and I love how it works so far, but I'm concerned how it's going to work with the trailer back there and the tall 3.31 rear gears. I guess I may have to run in 4th gear while pulling the trailer.

What engine were you running in it and what engine are you going back with? was it the 215 or 235? also how is your cooling problem? do you think it's the extra weight of the trailer or the addition of the air conditioning, or just an old partly clogged orig. radiator?

I'm planning on adding AC to my car too, and i'm just trying to get all possibilities worked out ahead of time, like changing rear gears, new rear springs, or added cooling capabilities. My trailer is a 4'x9' and hopefully total weight around 900# and tongue weight of 100 to 150#.

Well i've rambled along too much, again your rig looks great and I'm sure you'll get all the little bugs worked out.

Take care, Richard
I used to be pretty indecisive, but now I'm not too sure
Richard Miller
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rhino Ray » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Richard;

I'm not sure of the weight, I haven't been to the scales yet but I do know it is not the lightest one out there. :thinking: I estimate that I have between 90 to 150 tongue weight, but that's with just estimating when I lift it. The weight definitely caused the springs to sag and I also went with the Monroe air shocks. It did help with the sag some, definitely kept it from dragging on the street, but the shocks are connected to the body, not the frame. If I were to use it that way too long it would cause some real problems. The springs are back where they should be and now the Chevy has a nice rake to it. :twisted: The springs I put in was a quarter inch wider and I had them put in an extra spring to handle the weight. It rides a bit stiffer now but I can live with that.

When I put in the T-5 I also put in an open drive line from a S-10 Pick up. The gear ratio 3.40 in the rear, works fine and 5th gear is like an over drive. I wouldn't use it towing the TD but it's nice when I'm cruising down the freeway at 70. I've been thinking that 3.73's may be a better combination but I won't know till I do the engine swap. 8)

I'm putting in a 235 that's got a little hotter cam in it. It should give me an additional 50 HP so I won't have to slow down as much on the hills. :thumbsup: Nothing is wrong with my 216 but I just wanted more power. :lol: The fan I have in it now is a little plastic thing. I'm replacing it with a larger original fan. I am told that a shroud will help immensely. I also have a pusher fan in front of the condenser so it helps when I'm in a parade. :D Pulling the TD going up a hill I have to turn off the AC but turn it back on when the engine cools. :beer: I replaced my radiator and may have to get a larger after market aluminum one if the combination doesn't work.

Hope that answered all you questions.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:28 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353615608.368209.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353615608.368209.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 1571 times

Moisture, the cause of dry rot, is the enemy of all tear drops and is the most expensive repairs we are faced with in in our hobby. I have been sealing the underside where the siding is exposed to the weather.

All the trim is sealed with sealant so it is hopefully waterproof. I still have to finish the interior and part of the gally. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353616073.316956.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353616073.316956.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 1571 times

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques