Postby parnold » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:38 am

Very nice vehicles!

Is that a House of Kolor candy red?
parnold
Donating Member

Re: My New Build

Postby Rhino Ray » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Yes, you know your paint!
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

My Build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49746
Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:08 pm

parnold wrote:Very nice vehicles!

Is that a House of Kolor candy red?

Yes, you know your paint! :wine:

I checked out your build thread, very impressive!
Last edited by Rhino Ray on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:42 pm

[quote="Rhino Ray" Yes, you know your paint! :wine:[/quote]

What would be impressive would be if I could tell from the photo whether your base was Solar Gold or Orion Silver. My guess is Silver, if it was gold, it would be darker. Of course you can adjust the darkness with more layers of candy, but yours looks like three coats of candy over silver. :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:01 pm

LOL, I"m not sure, I have to ask the painter. That's one area I don't mess with and let the professionals do their magic. I guess in this case only Candy's hair dresser knows for sure.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Worked some more on the TT, cabinets are taking shape nicely.

I will skin this with the oak then start on the dividers between the cabinets, get the hardware for the drawers and figure out what I want to do with the doors. Any suggestions?

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Campin' Texan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:47 am

What size plywood did you use for the floor and walls? Were you able to find 5x10 sheets? If so, where?
Campin' Texan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rhino Ray » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Campin' Texan wrote:What size plywood did you use for the floor and walls? Were you able to find 5x10 sheets? If so, where?

The floor is 3/4 5X10 i special ordered from a specialty wood supply in Redding, CA along with the 5/8 4X10. Any good lumber yard will be able to special order these for you, the reason I went to Redding was because Grant from Little Bear Teardrops traced the outline of the Benroy shape on the plywood for me. :D

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:56 am

Well, this has been a busy week, even though I spent time on the project it seems to have slowed down. Mostly working on the electrical and facing the cabinets.
The back of the fuse box.

The front before mounting.
Start of the wiring

Skin on before finishing them.

It looks like I am going backwards but I dry fit the cabinets before finishing them. I am now in the process of installing the cabinets. It is going slower than I liker but once they are mounted in I can put the outside plywood on then the aluminum skin. More photos later.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Scouterjan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:18 pm

very nice indeed Chevy is #1
Jan
Scouterjan
Iron Man

Postby Rhino Ray » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:08 pm

In checking around it looks like I'm in the wrong forum. If there is anyway I can be moved let me know.

I did a bit of work this weekend, not as much as I wanted to but I did make some progress. I won't be able to work on it for at least a week due to professional obligations. I started out wanting to work on the cabinets but I lacked the hardware for the drawers so I opted to make the galley hatch instead. I cut out four curved pieces from half in ply and glued and screwed them to 2X2's with a few braces in between.
After skinning it with Baltic Burch it felt real strong and amazingly fit right in where it was supposed to go. :applause: Sometimes I surprise myself. :shock: Looks good from the back, I will install the wiring latch and insulation before I put on the inner skin.

It actually fit and there was room on each side. I'm wondering if I should put a second layer of the Baltic Burch on the exterior before I put on the aluminum. Any suggestions?

I got a couple of sheets of 1 1/2 inch insulation and had a heck of a time trying to make it curve over the front. After struggling with it trying to make it fit I gave up for the day. I didn't like the way the exterior Baltic Burch went over it so today I spent most of the afternoon pulling staples. I then ran it through the table saw making slits about every inch or so and amazing, it bent nicely in place. I looked like a ghost from all the dust when I was done but my stress level was way down. It skinned nicely and I called it a day.

Now I have to insulate the roof which looks like it will be the easy part.

I have the hardware for the cabinets, the fenders are on their way, the aluminum is ordered except the roof and now all I need is time to work on it. I plan to have it done by the first part of June Lord willing.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:28 pm

There's a Sticky on kerfing foam in the Foamies section.

Your camper is looking good.

How did you fasten the hatch skin to the ribs? Staples, screws, or... ? I have been debating with myself about screwing into the edge of plywood ribs like yours. Lots of people here have advised against doing this because the grain is weak this way. Interested in your thoughts and impressions since your hatch construction is similar to what I have planned.

Got a little saw dust on the Chevy, I see. No worries, it'll wash right off!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:02 pm

I glued and screwed using gorilla wood glue. If I need to, I can remove the screws but they are flush enough that the aluminum should glue to it without any problems. My only concern is that the skin may be too thin even with the aluminum and if I put another layer of Baltic Burch would I have to do the same over the entire teardrop?
Who ho.. As I write this my fenders arrived. :applause: :applause:
Last edited by Rhino Ray on Tue May 01, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Ray!

One layer of the birch on the lid is fine, no need to go with more (if you do, it'll mess up the alignment of the hatch and you'll probably have to cut the galley wall down about 1/8", and that could be a bit of a bear).

Glad to hear the fenders finally arrived ... :thumbsup: ...!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Rhino Ray » Tue May 01, 2012 1:12 am

Thanks Grant, they will be perfect. I will be skinning the sides soon and sending them and the TD to the paint shop. They will be painted Candy Red. We will then call the TD "Jelly Bean". :wine:

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques