Slide Out Kitchen?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:57 am

Hey Dan,

Your avatar looks nice! Did you update your photo album? Where can we see the photos? I just went to Sunsetlanding, and nothing new there. :cry:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:00 am

Hey DANL, it looks like you have made quite a bit of progress on your pod. When can we expect to see current photos on your site?
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby DANL » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:40 pm

I'll try to get photos onto the site in a couple of days. One of the findings from the shake-down trip was that the trailer needs some modification to make it tow even better. Even with the bikes loaded it's still not heavy enough on the tongue weight and sometimes when I camp solo I won't even have the bikes for weight.

I went up to Crystal Welding today and got estimates for modifications. I want to move the axle back about ten inches, Raise the tongue so I don't have to use such a deep drop ball mount, add diagonal bracing to the tongue to reduce sway--that single aluminum tongue is a bit more flexible and whippy than I want. After the axle and fenders are moved back, I may have a running board/storage platform installed that runs from the back of the fender to the end of the trailer. I might add a diamond plate platform to the front triangle also.

So my very busy job for right now is to get the pod off, modify a few mounting postitions, move the lift handle and the jacks, and get the trailer frame back to the welders.

BTW the pod worked out just fine. Having a kitchen is wonderful and my wife is excited about being able to cook with relative ease. It was also nice to have places for stuff.

Got lots of good comments from friends and a couple of them will be visiting this forum. One young fellow wants it all--a trailer to haul his stuff to worksite during the week, use for camping on weekends, and use as an ice fishing house in the winter. Several of us are going to brainstorm this problem and see what we can come up with.

Also BTW, thanks to all who offered suggestions and also those who posted things that weren't even related to what I was working on. This forum is like a big candy shop. And would you believe, I'm already thinking about the next one. Lots of ideas rolling around in the old noggin.

Hmmm... time to start thinking about a decorative design for the sides.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:46 pm

Looking forward to seeing more. Just from the little pic it looks like it came out pretty nice. Especially the rear hatch.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:52 pm

DANL wrote:I'll try to get photos onto the site in a couple of days. One of the findings from the shake-down trip was that the trailer needs some modification to make it tow even better.

What do you find to be the problem towing with a tongue that was too light? And to heavy it up, just install an air conditioner on the tongue. Problem solved! :lol:

DANL wrote:Got lots of good comments from friends and a couple of them will be visiting this forum. One young fellow wants it all--a trailer to haul his stuff to worksite during the week, use for camping on weekends, and use as an ice fishing house in the winter. Several of us are going to brainstorm this problem and see what we can come up with.

Sounds like a job for a retired designer. Say... I know one of those... he did a kwel Aquatear... Let us know what you come up with. We'd love to see the design iterations as well... so don't hold back! :wink:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:49 pm

One way to solve the problem of loosing the sheer strength of the bulkhead needing to be removed for a slide-out kitchen, is to leave the kitchen alone and slide-out the front section of the trailer.
I have a mock-up of this design in my personal folder, based on the Modernistic style.
Click Here

Postby Laredo » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:57 pm

Slide-out, raise-up ... dang. Yeah.

Yeah, as a matter of fact. Maybe not both at once though.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:22 pm

Slide out, then raise up... Giving you an area you can screen in and have a sunken hot tub!... Easy-Peasy-Thatsa-Easy!

Click Here

Postby Arne » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:17 am

Do the Australians know something we don't? Is their design more aero than ours? We put the big end towards the front, where the air resistance would be the worst... they put the small end towards the front, lessening the air resistance..... maybe.

It sure wouldn't look as good.... going backwards down the road..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby firsttoy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:56 pm

They did that for practicality of a big rear opening I think. It is an off-road trailer where aerodynamics are not a concern.

The profile of the teardrop is close to a aerofoil shape, which is the most aerodynamic shape.
firsttoy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:54 pm

Boat trailers have the best axle mounting system. The spring assembly is mounted on a rail, usually angle iron. That is bolted to the main trailer frame. Two bolts on each side can be removed and the whole wheel/axle/spring assembly can be moved easily. Only needed change is a few more holes......

If the harbor freight isn't like that, I'll remodel it, as I have no idea where the center of balance will be..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:19 pm

arnereil wrote:Do the Australians know something we don't? Is their design more aero than ours? We put the big end towards the front, where the air resistance would be the worst... they put the small end towards the front, lessening the air resistance..... maybe.

It sure wouldn't look as good.... going backwards down the road..

That's a good question, about the aerodynamics...

As for going backwards down the road, I think it depends on the design. I did a Matrix a while back that would look good either way... Take a look for yourself!!!

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... =3422#3422

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby firsttoy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:43 pm

just some info on aerodynamics,

1. A large factor is the distance from the vehicle towing it. The closer, the better. Obviously, we have turning considerations tho.

2. frontal area- as in how much is protected from the wind (a wagon would be better than a little convertible, for example)

3. The wedge shape would be good for a tow vehicle but wasted on a trailer. The reason is 1 and 2 above.
Further, you are effectively creating a larger gap between the tow vehicle and trailer creating more turbulence with a wedge trailer.
-Imagine in profile 2 wedges (one towing the other), Turbulence off the tail of the tow vehicle fully engulfing the trailer-not aero.
-now imagine in profile 1 wedge (tow vehicle) towing a backwards wedge (teardrop), turbulence minimized because the airflow is maintained to a much greater degree, very aero. Semi-trailers adopt this principle by using fairings to close down the gap between cab and trailer.

The long, tapered "teardrop" shape keeps the air flow connected to the form, reducing turbulence and increasing aero efficency.

Why the Kamm-tail? (wedge or aero form with a cutoff rear-like most vans, suv's and cars nowadays) Because if a teardrop or aerofoil shape cannot be acheived, the best terminator is a sharp cutoff (thus how spoilers work too).

With a trailer, underbody aerodynamics are a factor- importance increasing with more ground clearance of course.

When the distance from the tow vehicle is great (further away from the wake of the tow vehicle), than a wedge shaped trailer becomes more effective. Any "aero" shape (wedge or tear) will be better perfoming than a box.
Last edited by firsttoy on Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firsttoy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:46 pm

Hey Firsttoy... that's a good primer on aerodynamics. Thanks for sharing that with us. Did you pick that up in your profession, or in one of your hobbies? Which hobby?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby firsttoy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:50 pm

I have some auto knowledge
Last edited by firsttoy on Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
firsttoy
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques