Plywood and Northern Tool Trailers

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Plywood and Northern Tool Trailers

Postby robert » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:03 pm

Hi it's me again you can tell i'm new i have a zillon questions hope i don't over do it if i do please tell me to shut up i want mind too much. well here goes.
#1. Sandeplywood from home depot ? anybody used it ? it cost about the same as pine but is in better shape.
#2 How thin can you make the walls ,could you make a wall of 1/4" masonite, 3/4" frame ,1/4 masonite, all glued with PL ? would this be too weak ?Thats all the questions for tonight .
But i was in Northern Tool today they have a 4'x8' folding trailer for $199.99 it does not come with wheels but you can use 8" or 12" the 12" tires & wheel or $32.99 ea. the web page list the trailer for $179.99 & 12" wheels for $29.99 ea. shipping cost to GA.would be $93.00. Robert
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... yId=274279
robert
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:09 pm

Hey Robert,

Bring on the questions, that's what we are here for...

I don't know anything about sandeplywood, so I'll have to turn that question over to the others here...

But regarding masonite. Don't use it. It doesn't have the durability that some of our other choice today do...

Yes you can build a stick built teardrop and cover it with 1/8" plywood. Just look at what DANL is doing as an example...

http://www.sunsetlanding.com/

I would consider moisture resistant luan, or baltic birch aircraft plywood, or whatever that stuff is that DANL is using. It's a 6mm birch underlayment. Here's an example.... http://www.pantimusa.com/birch_plywood.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Plywood and Northern Tool Trailers

Postby Joseph » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:46 am

Hey Robert,

robert wrote:#1. Sandeplywood from home depot ? anybody used it ? it cost about the same as pine but is in better shape.

I used it for my floor and galley. It's less expensive than the birch and looks one heckuva lot better than exterior grade. Further, I believe exterior grade has the same nasty chemicals in it that pressure treated lumber has and about which Rik has warned us. It's one thing to use PTL for the frame, quite another to use it on the walls in which you'll be living. If you use sandeply for the floor or sides, just be sure that you seal the heck out of it. I used three coats of marine spar varnish.

robert wrote:#2 How thin can you make the walls ,could you make a wall of 1/4" masonite, 3/4" frame ,1/4 masonite, all glued with PL ? would this be too weak?

No. Mine is even thinner since I used 3mm (less than 1/8") marine plywood over a 3/4" frame glued with PL Premium. I believe the 3/4" insulation I used gives it a bit more structural strength as well.

You can see how I built mine on my page

Regards,

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby R Keller » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:05 pm

Exterior-grade plywood actually has less toxicity than interior-grade plywood because of reduced formaldehyde out-gassing from the glues.

Interior-grade plywoods are made using adhesives that contain urea-formaldehyde (UF) resins. Exterior-grade plywoods use the dark-colored phenol-formaldehyde (PF) resin. Although formaldehyde is present in both types of resins, the PF resin generally emits formaldehyde at considerably lower rates than the UF resin. Ironically enough, interior-grade plywoods are much worse for indoor air quality than exterior-grade plywoods!

If you sandwich two sheets of 1/8" plywood with rigid foam insulation and framing in between, you are essentially creating a much thicker piece of plywood. It will have a lot of structural rigidity, since the stiffness increases with the cube of the thickness (1" thick material will have 8 times the stiffness of 1/2" material). This is true as long as the foam is bonded across its whole surface to the plywood on both sides.

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby R Keller » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:33 pm

to clarify... I was talking about exterior grade plywood made with exterior-rated glues. Not pressure-treated plywood, which would have the same problems as pressure-treated lumber....

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby Joseph » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:18 pm

R Keller wrote:I was talking about exterior grade plywood made with exterior-rated glues. Not pressure-treated plywood, which would have the same problems as pressure-treated lumber....

Thanks for clearing that up, Rik - I was about to come back atcha... :lol:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Chip » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:30 pm

OK I'm gonna ask the yoyo at Lowes for an MSDS sheet on all products from now on,,,what kind of response do ya think that will get me,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Plywood and Northern Tool Trailers

Postby Eric Adams » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:20 pm

robert wrote:Hi it's me again...

But i was in Northern Tool today they have a 4'x8' folding trailer for $199.99 it does not come with wheels but you can use 8" or 12" the 12" tires & wheel or $32.99 ea. the web page list the trailer for $179.99 & 12" wheels for $29.99 ea. shipping cost to GA.would be $93.00. Robert
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... yId=274279

Get the trailer? I was thinking of getting this trailer also and welding it together after making sure it was square. Anyone have experience on this one? :)
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby JamesW » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:40 pm

If you have a Walmart close by, you can get 12" wheels for $39.00. You will save on shipping.... You ma be able to pick up a rifle while you are there. :rightfighter6:
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby Eric Adams » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:02 am

JamesW wrote:If you have a Walmart close by, you can get 12" wheels for $39.00. You will save on shipping.... You ma be able to pick up a rifle while you are there. :rightfighter6:

Wal_mart for a rifle? Maybe a Rem 700 VSS in .308? :)
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques