Cubby Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cubby Question

Postby Capt. Dan » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:12 pm

Newbie here...but I've been lurking here long enough to have gotten alot of great info. Now a question for all you Cubby builders, the top short bulkhead. On the shop drawings it shows 5 inches tall, but if you count the grid on the side shot it's 6 inches tall. Which one do I use? I'm to the point that I'm ready o put the sides on except for that one bulkhead.
Capt. Dan
Capt. Dan
Teardrop Inspector

Cubby Question

Postby Chuck » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:17 am

There are other Cubby builders here as well, but I'll give you my two cents worth.

Did you lay out lines for the bulkheads on the side? If so, I'd think you could just draw the bulkhead in so that the bottom is even with the top of the middle bulkhead. The top of the top bulkhead extends to the bottom of the double spars just above the hatch. I did that, and it seemed to work OK. By the way, be sure to drill small holes through the sides when they're sandwiched together to use as reference points for positioning bulkheads. The plans suggest that, and it's a BIG help.

I'm happy to see some Cubby questions here, since I'm in the process of building one myself. I'm sure we can help each other out. In a pinch, though, Kevin Hauser (author of the plans) is very good about answering questions. Good luck.
Chuck
Chuck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Capt. Dan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Chuck! The one thing that I did differently was instead of cutting the sides out seperately, I screwed them together and cut and sanded both at the same time. I did drill the holes to transfer the pattern. I'm loving his project...it's an opportunity to buy more tools!!
Dan
Capt. Dan
Teardrop Inspector

Cubby

Postby jlrelp » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:38 pm

Hello Capt. Dan

I am also working on an Cubby. Did the same thing had both sides and made one cut. Will check the bulk head walls measuement when I get home and will take some photos if that wil help.

Also I brought a already made cabinets and install them will do the gallery a little different. can check out web site construction

at http://www.richarjl.itgo.com

like you I can not wait to finish and be camping.
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Capt. Dan » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:00 am

John, I'd appreciate the measurements and pics! Nice to know that I'm not going to be the only Cubby in TX.
Capt. Dan
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques