dual-purpose roll-out awning / revised plan

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

dual-purpose roll-out awning / revised plan

Postby working on it » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:49 pm

I was testing my new surge protector circuitry today, and enjoyed using the A/C to kill the humidity. I was thinking that it sure works faster in the shelter of the garage bay, than sitting under direct sunlight. When camping, I cover my trailer with an Easy-Up canopy, both to shield the trailer from sun and from heavy rain. But the canopy must be assembled and taken down; tricky when done alone. And you have to transport it. On a regular travel trailer, most have awnings attached on one side, to be rolled out and used as a shade. Why not utilize the same roll-out mechanism/awning to flip it up and over the trailer (mine is 4x8), to both shield the trailer roof from the elements, and still be used as a shade on the far side?
dual-purpose rollout awning.png
dual-purpose rollout awning.png (32.43 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
PVC pipe, with a center roller (with stanchions) on each end (the pipe would fit over them),
top-mounted roller for PVC pipe support.jpg
top-mounted roller for PVC pipe support.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
would enable the awning to roll-out and roll-over the roof, then the usual anchoring/bracing would secure it as a shade on the opposite side. If I had a surplus awning (hmmm, my wife's trailer hasn't been used for two years....)
Last edited by working on it on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: dual-purpose roll-out awning

Postby 48Rob » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:42 am

Not a bad idea... :thinking:
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:44 pm

Yeah but I was thinking, "Why add all that extra weight and complexity, drill all those extra holes into your water barrier (skin) while adding wind drag, too?" Maybe just stitch a few pool noodles to your tarp to get an air gap, a couple of hooks to anchor the attached side and you're done. Sure, you would have to fold/roll the tarp up and stow it, but it would keep wind drag down, keep the tarp out of the elements most of the time, and be generally less of an eyesore.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:18 pm

KCStudly wrote:Sure, you would have to fold/roll the tarp up and stow it, but it would keep wind drag down, keep the tarp out of the elements most of the time, and be generally less of an eyesore,
Benefits of dual purpose awning on a roller proposal:
  • a) awning would require hardly any time to deploy, or store
  • b) wind drag is negligible, I tow with a 2500HD (14mpg or less)
  • c) awning is waterproof, colorful, and deflects attention from my eyesore trailer
Ha, Ha! Good points KC! Just a pipe-dream anyhow.
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: dual-purpose roll-out awning / time to re-consider it

Postby working on it » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:27 pm

• Now, I'm two weeks from my first trailer trip in 18+ months, getting ready and making the usual alterations. But, since it will be a trip to Beaver's Bend, Okla., site of the rainiest three days I've spent on any trip, I am thinking again of a tarp/awning.
  • BB'15 was a monsoon. I didn't mind until on the second night, I returned to my trailer at dark to find that a) I had left one door ever-so-slightly unsealed, b) my 8x8 canopy was arranged so I would have more coverage on one side, so I would have sheltered entry into the cabin...that left the canopy pulled tight against the other side, where it dumped copious amounts of water directly over/into the slightly ajar door (all-day), and c) I found at least 1.5 inches of water in the trailer, more at the rear where my pillows are (my trailer is reverse of most), because of a rearward tilt.
  • After re-angling the trailer, to direct most of the water out the doors, and moving the canopy so it would not repeat the offense, I commenced drying the carpets, and taping shut the suspect door (I wasn't sure if the seal was OK or not). Using all my dry bedding, dry because it rested on top of my double-encased w/plastic mattresses (thank you J), I dried the carpets/mats as best I could, got my spare comforter from behind my truck's seats (generally, I have spares for everything), and went to bed.
  • As you might guess, the cabin humidity was very high, so I turned on my A/C (though the night was in the 50's) to function as a dehumidifier, turned on both of my heaters to offset the chill, turned my big 120vac fan on to high, to circulate more air, and huddled completely under my comforter.
  • It dried out pretty well, considering, and I was lucky I had spare stuff, and especially that I used two waterproof mattress covers. Later, at home, I removed everything, dried the inside with a big heater and the fan, and noted that no damage was done to anything. It pays to over do everything, especially multiple coats of poly!
  • So now, back to the awning situation. Since KC pointed out that I would probably have to fold it to stow it, I'm figuring on a 8x10 heavy tarp, with about 2 feet over one doorway, and about 4 feet sticking over the other side (my roof is 4 ft wide), using permanent 6 ft top rails, identical on each sidewall, an arched center rail (bent to keep the water from pooling), with extending 4 ft round tubes nested inside each side's top rail, to be pulled forward to make the top rails 8 ft long to support the tarp). Flagpole mounting brackets (6-8) will be mounted on the sides, to accept 1" diameter painted oak dowels (with retainer clip for tarp grommet attachment) screwed to one end. Short length dowels on one side, longer lengths on the other (which side depends on the campsite). I'll have to get a tarp (I think I bought one or two that size a year ago), aluminum flat stock for the rail base, threaded rod for the crosspieces (to secure the bent tubing in the center), multiple clips, flagpole brackets (I'll get 6 to start, probably need eight), and the longest 1" oak dowels I can find (I'll have to assemble everything, before I'll know the angles and lengths for all pieces). And, of course the base rails and extensions.
  • I have less than two weeks to do this; I lost two weeks while my wife was spending my project money up north somewhere, another week fixing a dead battery on my truck (it was only 11 years old!; I noticed it dying when I redid my trailer wiring), and most of last week with computer/internet problems (I learned a lot in the last week). And tonight, my wife informed me that we will resume work on the roof to floor re-building of our dining room, which is 1/3 done, but on hiatus after I tore my rotator cuff a month back. I'll have to find some time (and cash).
  • I've completed most of my trailer prep checklist, but I still need to assemble my angled bed (I'm cutting one mattress into sections, to raise my head angle, and make it easier to fold up (I carry cargo in front of the cabin). And, I haven't run my A/C yet, though it should be fine, and I haven't run my onboard generator in over a year (I hope Sta-bil works).
  • I'll probably not get done in time, and it'll probably storm at BB'17,
    but i'm going to check that my doors are firmly shut, and that my canopy doesn't dump on my parade, this time out
    dual-purpose rollout awning.png
    dual-purpose rollout awning.png (96.84 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
    old tarp/awning plan
  • tarp awning plan.jpg
    tarp awning plan.jpg (86.66 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
    the new tarp/awning plan
  • tarp & brackets.png
    tarp & brackets.png (183.47 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
    some of the parts to get, fast
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: dual-purpose roll-out awning / revised plan

Postby noseoil » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:09 am

I like the design concept, but agree that it's more complicated than necessary. I think the KISS solution would be better if it can be worked out. Couple of hooks on the off-side to anchor the tarp, then braces (the small flag pole holders?) & EMT might be OK for simple & light.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:46 pm

CLARIFIED COMPARISON OF OLD VS NEW PLAN.png
CLARIFIED COMPARISON OF OLD VS NEW PLAN.png (150.92 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:34 am

2 words... pool noodles. Replace the rollers with pool noodles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:47 am

Socal Tom wrote:2 words... pool noodles. Replace the rollers with pool noodles.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I already tried the pool noodles with a quarter section cut-out, to fit over the top edges of the trailer. I would've had to screw them in place, or they would come loose. Roller plan has been replaced (the only "roller" I'm considering, is an 8 ft. length of PVC pipe, to roll the tarp onto, to keep from setting deep wrinkles by folding it up). I might try a "pool noodle" sliced half-way in the middle, and force it over the round tube (EMT conduit), to prevent wearing-thru the tarp by direct contact with the metal tubing. I'm still sourcing parts right now, and deciding on the best/cheapest hardware for the job. As usual, I'm trying various leftover items I have on hand, to see if they might work, to save money. Very time consuming....
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:52 am

working on it wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:2 words... pool noodles. Replace the rollers with pool noodles.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I already tried the pool noodles with a quarter section cut-out, to fit over the top edges of the trailer. I would've had to screw them in place, or they would come loose. Roller plan has been replaced (the only "roller" I'm considering, is an 8 ft. length of PVC pipe, to roll the tarp onto, to keep from setting deep wrinkles by folding it up). I might try a "pool noodle" sliced half-way in the middle, and force it over the round tube (EMT conduit), to prevent wearing-thru the tarp by direct contact with the metal tubing. I'm still sourcing parts right now, and deciding on the best/cheapest hardware for the job. As usual, I'm trying various leftover items I have on hand, to see if they might work, to save money. Very time consuming....

I was thinking, taping a few sections together could create a peak that would help water run off.
Tom

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:42 am

Socal Tom wrote:I was thinking, taping a few sections together could create a peak that would help water run off.
Tom
  • I was intending to use another 1" Emt conduit tube, bent in an arc, anchored in the center of the roof (by 3/8" all-thread rod, running crosswise, between the main supports mounted to the sidewalls-aluminum bar bolted to wooden stanchions-). All mounting points, materials, and measurements are totally up in the air, until I can get the pieces in hand to try best fit/appearance/functionality.
  • 1 inch emt conduit to be central lift for tarp.png
    1 inch emt conduit to be central lift for tarp.png (70.95 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
    rough drawing of proposed materials and approximate locations
  • detail of line drawing-central mounted, bent EMT to lift tarp center.png
    detail of line drawing-central mounted, bent EMT to lift tarp center.png (76.15 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
    a closer look at the central tarp lift tube attaching points
  • Like I've said, this project may not be completed, or gotten very far underway, before camping, unless I can get the "boss" to sign off on the cost (now looking to be closer to $200 than to $100).
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: dual-purpose roll-out awning/dumped plan, get canopy #2

Postby working on it » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:20 am

working on it wrote:...Like I've said, this project may not be completed, or gotten very far underway, before camping, unless I can get the "boss" to sign off on the cost (now looking to be closer to $200 than to $100).
  • Wow. I've planned and revised plans over and over again, finding none to my satisfaction. After spending a few more hours re-measuring and re-drawing, I came up with what I thought would work, take ten minutes to set-up, and a day to fabricate. Then, I marked out the positions (with a Sharpie), laid out Pex tubing to simulate conduit, taped cardboard (cut to the size and shape of the stanchions, and flagpole brackets) to the trailer, and stood back, and took it all in. While it might've worked in the field, the simulation looked like crap, and I didn't even add the all-thread crossmembers on the roof (my un-favorite aspect of it all, but could find no other way). A tarp over it might've hidden the flaws, but only then. On the road, it would be plain ridiculous.
  • I get carried away sometimes, with re-purposing things, and thinking of doing things I hadn't seen done before, but it gets away from me, eventually. This plan is one of those.
  • more details, aluminum deleted.png
    more details, aluminum deleted.png (145.13 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
    I simulated this plan with substitute materials; a no-go
  • As I pondered the simulation, I counted all the holes I would've had to put in the trailer skin (including thru the roof - I already have too many up there-), and it totalled out to be 48. No way. Then, I looked at my Home Depot & Amazon shopping carts that I had compiled, with all the pieces (hardware and all) that I would buy, and it came to over $200, as I had just "jokingly" posted.
  • For that amount of money, I could buy a 10'x10' medium gable canopy kit w/fittings, and buy and cut 1" EMT to complete it. The kit, with shipping is $146.36, and buying the 1" EMT locally, with sales tax, would bring the total to $201.68.
  • 10x10 SILVER TARPED CANOPY KIT tubing extra.png
    10x10 SILVER TARPED CANOPY KIT tubing extra.png (141.66 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
    same cost as failed plan
  • But, facing my limitations, I think I'll just go with what everyone else does, just get a second pop-up canopy. I like one at Academy, that costs a little more than my old Ezy-Up ($50, 5 years ago), but the info states it to be more UV, water, and fire-resistant, for $80.A no-brainer choice; I don't have to do it differently, do I ?
  • Z-Shade blue 10x10 canopy.PNG
    Z-Shade blue 10x10 canopy.PNG (91.47 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
    same size as my EZY-UP;hook-em together!
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby noseoil » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:54 am

Yep, simple is better (KISS). This has worked out pretty well in most of the places we've visited.

Bonneville 2016

Superstitions, is there a pattern here?

The awning isn't a bad idea, but it might be better if it's easier.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 am

I'm planning to set up a tarp next trip. The pop up is getting beat up from being pulled around rather than carried.
Tom

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques