Too hefty?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Too hefty?

Postby Shrug53 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:59 am

It seems like I hear a lot of talk about the thickness of walls and it seem to me that it is overkill. Do the walls really need to be that thick? They just need to be rigid, they are not load bearing.

I was thinking that if you built a frame (like the following)

from 3/4" x 3/4" and filled the spaces with rigid insulation (that pink stuff has a minumum thickness of 3/4") and sandwiched it between 2 pieces of 1/8" plywood, you would get a very rigid wall which was only 1" thick, and quite light. Does this seem right to you?
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:22 am

I have a factory built Scotty and it doesn't even have that much!! The 3/4X1!/2 framing with alum. on one side and 1/8 luan on the other. No insulation! It's not very solid, but if you put the 3/4 ridged insulation in there it would make it so, and not add much weight.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nick Taylor » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:49 pm

Lots of trailers and motorhomes have been built that way over the years. With 1/8" panels on each side and some good glue you can make a very stiff wall.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:38 am

I tore apart a pop up trailer for the trailer and it was hollow. I had seen twigs thiker that the wood they used! It looked like something thinner than 1/4 on 1 inch studs and on the outside the thin stuf again covered with a very thin aluminum skin. O yeah, no insulation. bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques