FRP for my Ceiling

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

FRP for my Ceiling

Postby IndyTom » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:39 pm

I am ready to install my ceiling. I built my walls leaving a ledge, like I learned from someone here, just can't remember who. My first thought for a ceiling material is FRP. It is flexible, to fit my profile. It is fairly easy to work with. And it is very durable. I am looking for thoughts. I do have an area right at the top of my profile that is pretty flat and I am a little afraid the the FRP will sag in that area.I will be glued to rafters above it, just not sure that will be enough. Anyone? Ideas? Opinions? My profile is in my build thread, linked in my signature

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Re: FRP for my Ceiling

Postby JaggedEdges » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:29 am

My thought is, if it's the same panel that is bent either end, on even a very shallow curve or short flat area it will put some tension in it. But if the flat panel is on it's own it may sag a tad, not going to sag in an unsupported foot probably, more like just noticeable in 2 feet.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:51 am

I have built fourteen with frp panels. I clamp One end, and shove up against the spars, mark with pencil, remove tension and use PL roof flashing adhesive. I found it by accident, allows up to 30% movement (just means it is not brittle) . Wait two days to dry, and done. No ledge, just adhesive, impossible to remove!
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I made a good choice. The large majority of the ceiling has at least a small curve to it. The flat area is about 20 inches long and 80 inches wide, but I will have spars/rafters at least every 12 inches. I want to be able to walk on that part of the roof so they may be every 6 inches, so it seems that the FRP panels will be well supported. Now I get to stop at Menard's on the way home and pick up my panels and get started installing them!

Thanks again

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:33 am

I used 5mm ply for my ceiling, which also rested on the tops of my walls (ledge like). On test fit it did sag a bit with no support, even tho my roof profile has a crown in it. I didn't like the idea of having to supply and make a bunch of prop sticks (which seemed like a lot of wasted material and time) so I came up with a simple clamp method and glued roof spars onto the top of my ceiling skin prior to installing it all as an assembly. No sag, no prop sticks, no working over my head in a cramped space.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48630&hilit=ceiling+spars&start=2085#p1085422
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:51 pm

The new NRP panels would be better since it's inside and are extremely lighter and even cheaper than FRP. I know Lowe's carries them not sure about HD.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby IndyTom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:06 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:The new NRP panels would be better since it's inside and are extremely lighter and even cheaper than FRP. I know Lowe's carries them not sure about HD.

Do tell, I was about to leave for Menard's when I read this. What is NRP? Is it as flexible as FRP? As durable?

Going to hold off for the time being.

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby greygoos » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:39 pm

NRP is very lightweight and about half the thickness of FRP. It is 19.00 a sheet here in Syracuse. I have used it on food trailers. I used PL premium but found I had to spread the entire sheet with a notched trowel. In "my" experience just dabbing it on in spots caused what looked like bubbling after it dried. It was quite a job ripping it off. It is thin like a disposable cutting board.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:49 pm

It's the same pebbled plastic without the fiberglass embedded so thus is massively lighter and same exact look.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby IndyTom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks again everyone. I just got checked and Menard's sells it. Will be picking some up later tonight.

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby razorback » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:39 pm

I found that using a shear is the best way to cut FRP. I had not discovered the forum when I was building my TD. Couldn't find Aluminum locally so I discovered a salvage yard that had rolls of FRP that were 82" wide. I had planned to cover all of the outside with FRP but the price was so low I also did the inside walls and floor too. I covered all my walls and floor for 108.00. The electric shear made all the cuts smooth and easy. 34000 plus miles later I am happy with my decision. Good luck on your installation.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby IndyTom » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks Larry,
That is a great looking build you have there. I am going to have to get a set or either electric or pneumatic shears, I keep coming across little jobs where they would work so perfectly, but that is one tool I have just never bought. Safe Travels

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques