Adzel Source

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Adzel Source

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:23 am

Adzel SuperLite is a premium RV wall panel substrate used by high-end RV manufacturers like Coachmen. I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait to try. Better impact resistance, sound absorption, moisture resistance, thermal insulation, etc., than plywood.

Fair warning: It's expensive. $50 for a 1/8-inch 4x8 sheet + shipping. So maybe not something for most DIY builders. Also tough to glue because it's LSE.

Anyway, it's a bear to find. You have to buy 200+ sheets direct from the manufacturer. I've only found one other supplier:

http://www.mirageinc.com/superlite-rv-w ... white-44mm

Where you can buy small orders. White color only.

I don't usually give away my suppliers ;) but I'm not too worried about this one. Adzel is a specialty item, really only useful for ultra lightweight double-wall construction. But if you're building that sort of wall, and want the best, then I hope this helps.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Re: Adzel Source

Postby aggie79 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:55 am

A word of caution with Azdel.

I had been considering purchasing a CampLite travel trailer made by LivinLite for about five years as a move-up from our teardrop and had been following their owners' forum to find out about how owners liked their products. LivinLite was an independent premium all aluminum travel trailer (aluminum interior and exterior skins, aluminum framing and trailer frame, aluminum floor, and aluminum cabinets.) The reviews were generally very good except for a few quality control issues.

About 2-3 years ago when Thor purchased LivinLite, Thor implemented "value engineering." The aluminum roof, aluminum cabinets and aluminum interior walls were deleted for cheaper materials and production methods. The quality of the travel trailers changed dramatically, after a year or so they "pulled the plug" on the owners' forum.

One of the issues was the use of Azdel. The base material itself did not seem to be the issue, although many reported that it was flimsy and couldn't hold screws to fasten accessories, but the problem was the delamination of the top color layer from the substrate. This could have been limited to the woodgrain patterns used by Thor for LivinLite. The other issue reported on the forum was that the material "oil-canned" between framing members when it got hot.

This is not a condemnation of Azdel. Perhaps the CampLite owners' issues with it was from a "bad run" by the factory. It is meant as information to consider when using this material.
Last edited by aggie79 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 am

Tom,

Thanks so much for that real-world information. Thermal expansion does seem to be the death knell of so many materials when it comes to RV's ... What's interesting is that I had heard that Adzel had a fairly low expansion rate. It would be interesting to know what frame material Thor used when they re-"engineered" CampLite.

I don't know if it would stick, but using a visceoelastic tape to adhere Adzel to the frame might also solve oil canning.

I have also heard that it doesn't hold screws well. Wall anchors should *hopefully* solve that problem.

Now, delamination .... :x I have no solution for that problem. I don't know if that's a systemic quality failure or, like you said, just a bad run.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:Tom,

Thanks so much for that real-world information. Thermal expansion does seem to be the death knell of so many materials when it comes to RV's ... What's interesting is that I had heard that Adzel had a fairly low expansion rate. It would be interesting to know what frame material Thor used when they re-"engineered" CampLite. I don't know if it would stick, but using a visceoelastic tape to adhere Adzel to the frame might also solve oil canning.

Andrew,
CampLite still uses welded square tube aluminum framing. I believe, their use of Azdel is attached to the framing with a combination of VHB/viscoelastic tape and being mechanically captured by trim. I don't think the oil-canning has been too prevalent where it is attached close intervals to the exterior framing. I think it was more of an issue with interior walls that hadn't greater spans between attachment points.

Andrew Herrick wrote:I have also heard that it doesn't hold screws well. Wall anchors should *hopefully* solve that problem.

Now, delamination .... :x I have no solution for that problem. I don't know if that's a systemic quality failure or, like you said, just a bad run.

Overall, I do think Azdel is an interesting and on the whole a good material. As with any material, if you consider its properties you can work around its limitations/challenges. With all of the cost-cutting in the RV travel trailer industry, Azdel must be a good material or else the industry wouldn't be paying a premium for it over other sheet goods.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques