Window Questions and Stargazer Windows

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Window Questions and Stargazer Windows

Postby bd_ohio » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:47 am

Hello everyone,
I have a few questions about windows; stargazer windows, specifically.
My wife and I are working on a 5x8 trailer, and would like to order a stargazer window soon. I don't really have much interest building a window, but I am interested in economical solutions. So I'm looking at used options.

1. Tint or no tint?
It seems to me that you'd want no tint, but when looking at manufactured windows they're almost always tinted. We plan to have a window cover that we can pull if we don't want the sun waking us up too early.

2. What size?
I was thinking anywhere between 12" x 36" up to 12" x 48". Will 36" wide be too small? Again, we'll be in a 5x8 trailer.

3. How hard is it to replace glass in a manufactured window?
I've been looking at used windows on eBay, and got to wondering if it's possible to replace the factory glass with some plexiglass. I've seen some deals on privacy windows that have frosted glass. If the frosted glass can be replaced cheap enough and easy enough with plexi, maybe this is a way to do it? Has anyone done this?

4. How important is it that the depth of the window frame matches the thickness of your wall/ceiling?

5. I know I said I wasn't really interested in building a window, but to those of you who have built your own stargazer windows, how'd you do it? How'd you construct the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian - rookie trailer builder
Columbus, OH
bd_ohio
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Window Questions and Stargazer Windows

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:34 am

In my early days, I tried to make my own windows. After four or five ended in the trash, I bought RV windows, and I've never looked back. I definitely agree with your plan to purchase used windows.

I advise tinted windows for three reasons: curb appeal, privacy, and heat reduction.

The windows you described are fairly large by teardrop standards. I think you'll be fine.

I do not advise DIY plexiglass windows. They are not as safe as RV tempered safety glass.

If you're willing to do a little legwork, I might purchase surplus RV windows off eBay. Most of them don't come with interior trim rings. You can bypass that issue by just drilling holes and inserting screws through the exterior flange into the sidewall. It's not the "proper" way to install a window, but if you're determined to avoid a new window/skylight, then with enough sealant, it'll work. You'll have to fabricate your own trim to decorate the interior of the rough opening.

If you use a trim ring, instead, then the depth of the window and the depth of the wall/ceiling must match. Otherwise, you won't get proper clamping pressure, and the windows will inevitably leak.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:37 am

One more note:

Google tells me that plexiglass gets brittle and breaks easily at temperatures below freezing. Lexan might work??? Not sure.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby bd_ohio » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Great advice. You've helped reaffirm my belief that manufactured windows is the way to go. Thanks, Andrew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian - rookie trailer builder
Columbus, OH
bd_ohio
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques